1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

German Gefreiter - Stalingrad 1942

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by RobH, Feb 19, 2004.

1. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi all

I watched Anders version of this figure with great interest as I have the same one.

Its Stormtroopers 120mm figure painted in acrylics:

Attached Files:

2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    A closer shot of his face.

I'm attempting to capture a cold tired face. Watching the movie Stalingrad was a great help. Noticed chapped lips, pale face, red eyes.

What do you think folks? Any feedback welcomed and encouraged.

Never painted in this scale, but I like it! Except for large areas of materials!!
    And field grey! my hat off to both Jaume and Anders for their excellent renditions of this uniform.

Rob

Attached Files:

3. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Rob!

You're making mine look like a childs work!

What is the mix for your flesh, excellent! Looking forward to see this one progress, its a great figure!
  4. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Anders! don't be so down on yourself!
    For some reason I can't get the field grey like yours. It was lighter and looked like the stuff in the movie. Mines way too dark! Need to really study those Jaume posts!

Wish I could remember the flesh mix! When I'm back at my desk (its upstairs) I'll see if I can jog my memory.

And I agree......a great figure.....I love him more each day!!

Rob
  5. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Rob, I agree, you did a very nice job with the flesh. (y) Thanks for showing us your version. It's great to see how different folks approach the same subject.

-jim cox
  6. Larry R New Member

Rob, nice work, I really like it especially the facial expression!
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Rob,

I don't know exactly why, but to me, this figure cries out for BLOODSHOT eyes!

Try to put some red pencil/pastel 'dust' under the lower eyelids. You can always take it off if you don't like it. But definitively worth the try.

Otherwise (y)

Q.
  8. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    You know Quang that would just about finish that face off, he would be tired cold and hungry.

Lovely figure Rob, thanks for posting

Rob
  9. homellop Active Member

Spain
    Hi Rob
    I can't see anything wrong with the feldgrau
    Btw,Great face,indeed

More pics please
    jaume
  10. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Rob,

He looks miserable & I mean that in a most complimentary way (y) . Great job.

Mike
  11. yeo_64 Active Member

Singapore
    Excellent job on the figure,Rob My hat's off to you ! BTW,loved the movie "Stalingrad" too I saw it 3 times just for the details and atmosphere ! Cheers.
    Kenneth.
  12. LCoote New Member

Australia
    That's very impressive Rob (y) as the others have commented, a great job on the face , a nice touch the redness under the eyes. Is the feldgrau finished or still more to go , how many layers did it take to build up the highlights and shadows?
  13. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks folks for the encouragement!

Quang: Yes, bloodshots good idea. I'll experiment with that!
    Also trying to add some 'blueness' to the face, as if the skin has become translucent - but still has some life in him!

Leigh: my painting is a bit more random than knowing numbers of layers!Different areas have been worked up more than others, so maybe 3 or so max on either highlights or shadows.

Jaume: More pics soon.

Thanks again

Rob
    (y)
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    In case you overdo it, you can always use him for your 'Night of the Living Dead' dio. :lol:

In fact, if you give him a drooping moustache, he can pass as Donald Sutherland in 'The Invasion of the Body-Snatchers'. The final 'howling scene'. (y) (y)

Q.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Rob, Nice job on the figure, the face is just great.~Gary
  16. Patrick Kirk New Member

Rob,
    Honestly, amazing work...you really captured well the tired look of combat...wow...

All the best

Patrick
  17. Lou Masses Member

United-States
    Rob,

The face gives you the feeling of him being cold. The way the highlights are much lighter than the shaodws in terms of "pink" is very convincing. I think I also see (tough with the photo) the convincing chapped lips. The gray looks fine but I can't tell, the photo is a little dark.

Overal so far superb work.

Regards,
    Lou
  18. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks again folks

Yeah the photo a slightly dark. Hope to get some better ones soon.

Lou: glad you think you can see the chapped lips!! Might even give him a 'sore'!

Rob
  19. johnbrewer New Member

Rob top looking figure, I to would like to see blood shot eyes.
  20. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Any more progress on this figure Rob? Would love to see it finiahed

oops............just found it on his other link........sorry :(