1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

German Dak Infantry North Africa Wwii Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Tarracus, Nov 9, 2012.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I am a big fan of young miniatures busts and I love painting them,I really like the new release :)

Brian
    T50 likes this.
  2. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    All what I can see about new releases on the market is the fact that regardless of the subject military busts display smart and "heroic" faces as a common feature. So maybe the politically correct modellers of the "good" and "more interesting" other themes seem to prefer gay superheroes as well?
    Looking at Mr Young`s series I do not see any difference in the heroic style of the faces looking at his Romans, Celts, Allies or the Germans ( oops did I say Germans? -- oh, of course it`s the Nazi`s). Maybe it is just his chosen style - regardless of the subject - which ensures good sales because of the queer customers that don´t know why they paint so many Nazi`s but have to clear their bad conscience on threads like this as soon as there is "another German" to be released.

There are two (in fact - for the experts :) - three) very nice and heroic WW II US-Airborne busts within his line. In my eyes they do not look the same (likewise the DAK-busts) but I never heard any boring-comment when they were released.
    If a subject as a theme has been done before there is no room for another interpretation ? Your conversion of the cossak-bust was already done as an original sculpt some years back by Mike Good as a bust for Jaguar Models in a similar way....

Shouldn´t we mainly focus on the modelling-qualities of a new release over here on PF? I am always happy to learn about ways to improve a model discussed over here or to remedy a possible flaw or finally to learn that the new release is perfect and a pleasure to build what I assume will be the case with this new release of Mr. Young.

Happy modelling!
    Martin
    Tarracus, T50, stu and 1 other person like this.
  3. kidsbday7 Active Member

United-States
    Right on Martin64. I am not familiar with Young so I go to check out his website and half his military busts are allied and half are axis. Jeez seems pretty even to me. And the other DAK soldier is a tanker! Not infantry. How's that duplication which is implied? I get that people's opinions are valid. Doesn't necessarily make them valuable though.

Love this hobby so I hope he does well with it. Suggest people vote with their wallet.
    T50, stu and Martin64 like this.
  4. Alex Long A Fixture

England
    Not being one of lifes complainers or having a low tolerance threshold for product releases in the same genre, I'll simply say that I think this is a top quality piece of work and I'm thankful that such quality is available for us modellers to choose to buy.

Alex.
    Tarracus, T50, stu and 4 others like this.
  5. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Young Has his own style of sculpting, but this carries through his entire range and not just limited to his Germans. Yes these are good looking heads, they may be chiseled with strong jaw bones but does that mean the guys who buy the allied stuff etc are into the gay super hero look you stated also ?! So what if these are attractive busts ?!! That's Youngs style, ( and as in real life some guys are more attractive than others ... ) the German pieces are not in HEROIC acts as seen in SOME propaganda of the times !

These are busts, which emphasises the head and shoulders ( on most ) so why not depict a head which is symmetricall and thus more attractive with good features ? This happens in real life also ! Remember these are an artists interpretation ! You want an ugly head or average facial features go buy another sculptors work !!

You ask what the attraction must be buying such chiseled Germans, implying that the painter is in fact a gay super hero loving nazi, I have heard some shite in my time but this is ?!!!
  6. Vaux Well-Known Member

Spain
    Here in Spain, we have the blacklegged Jamon Serrano, the better, but always the same and so we did not complain, just enjoy it. When you do not like, do not eat it, if you do not like the busts of Young, not buy, but they are the best.

Here in this forum presents thousands of products to go straight to the trash and not protest much, I do not understand.
  7. Mark S Guest

We should be very grateful for these extraordinary busts sculpted by one of the worlds most talented miniature artists. We should appreciate the fact that when you're that good at what you do, you should sculpt what ever the hell you want to.
    Market forces will generally determine the rest.....and as far as I can see, although they're not my thing, they seem to be selling extremely well.
    And we should remember that it wasn't all that long ago that a well sculpted bust looked a lot like this~

My Silly Dolls.jpg
  8. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    Mark S, Unfortunately, my busts will probably still look like these, once completed!..:LOL:

Mark
    Mark S likes this.
  9. mao A Fixture

Italy
    I like it!
  10. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    I think most of us are sexually secure enough not to worry about things like that when we buy figures.
  11. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    This is a really great bust, one of his best!

He concentrates him especially on WW2 and there are many persons who will buy this.

Why german?
    The german soldiers have the most several uniforms and also the most several variants of camouflage pattern and equipment.
    Also there is a big myth!!

Someone feels disturbed and the other go with..
  12. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Haha, to begin with I will spare myself the frowning upon a generic handsome face. No one deserves that.

It is yet another German for sure but as I recall only one DAK was released by Young previously. Can you find it in you to see DAK as something else? Of its own dimention? Well that's my case for sure. So I feel not like yawning this time round.

And does anyone note the elongated proportions? This compensates the generic quality of the face to give something to crave for and feel revitalised about.

All in all a pleasant addition.
  13. Dr Force A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think this sculpt is a typically outstanding work of art, it looks superb and the casting is lovely.

I don't get any criticism of such masterful work, if only I old produce something half as good I would be producing whole battalions of German sculpts!!M
  14. yoshi Well-Known Member

Netherlands
    it looks very nice- is a wanna have(y)
  15. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal

This explanation is all about why I paint WWII Germans. (I always have a crush for the loosers.):ROFLMAO::D
    Mr.Young, please next time sculpt Fräu Merkel, I would love to paint her.:cool:

Pedro.
  16. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England

They were' nt that smart ?! They lost the war ; )
    sd0324 and pmfs like this.
  17. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Why 'o' why do we put ourselves through this same retorict statement & just respect each other's opinions on their favoured gendre, (n)
    It's a top notch sculpt which will sell to a lot of painters & keep this hobby alive & kicking. We, as painters do not need to knock why some figure & busts companies and scupltors do what they do, but as long as they keep doing it, keep buying what you like & stuff everyone esle!
    BTW, I love it & will be getting one! (y)
    Mark D;)
    pmfs likes this.
  18. Einion Well-Known Member

No, I'm sorry it's not. In fact the very opposite should be, and is, the case Stuart!!

Einion
  19. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    I think this is a fantastic release by Young Miniatures. There are not a lot of DAK soldiers on the market, and I think there is not such a DAK soldier. The sculpture is awesome.

Laurent
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    But like this, please...

[IMG]

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Cheers