1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Georgios Drakos Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by FigureLover, Apr 9, 2013.

1. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi All,
    Finally finished this commission job on the excellent 200mm sculpt from YS miniatures. Not the easiest paint job that I have done, lots of fine details such as the braided vest and the casting was quite rough so I had to do a fair bit of clean up on it before painting.
    Overall I am happy with how it turned out. Mainly painted in oils
    Ta
    Ben d1.jpg d2.jpg d3.jpg
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Looks great.

Marc
  3. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Great Work Ben!!

Regards
    Pedro
  4. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Really lovely painting, Ben. That gold braiding must have driven you mad, but the end result is very convincing.
    Great job mate!
  5. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Marc and Pedro, Glad you like him
    Thanks
    Ben
  6. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Gday Nick
    Thanks Mate,the braid wasnt as bad as I had expected, just took a fair amount of time, thats all
    Ben
  7. YDGIN A Fixture

Russian-Federation
    Good work!
  8. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice work!!!
  9. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Ta for that YDGIN and Christos, happy to show him here
    Ben
  10. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ben, nice work. If I may offer, maybe more contrast in the white shirt would compliment the creases in the casting.

Regards

Ron
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ben,

Certainly the better of the two busts in my opinion. Lovely work on the braiding on the vest.
  12. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Ron,
    You may be right, I will have another look at it later tonight, one of those things, how far do you go with it
    Hi Tony,
    A few people have said that, whereas I think the opposite, Oh well. Thanks for the comment on the vest, I was happy with it too
    Ben
  13. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Very good job

Alexandros
  14. Tarracus A Fixture

Nice work! I painted myself this piece some time ago and it's really a tricky job. You've solved it greatly(y)
  15. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for taking the time to have a look guys
    Ben
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Ben,
    Very fine job on this piece;..I have this piece and I "think" it is the next in line.I have #136...don't know that's good or bad. But the overall casting seems to be pretty good.But that braiding?..Seems to me you almost need to "nick" it in with a "v"tool or paint it in.If you don't mind me asking what you did.
    You did this on comission;..so the pressure was on...................Best regards for a real nice job......................Wayne
  17. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Wayne,
    Thanks for looking. Yes it was a commission job but he was in no hurry so that was OK, Im a slow painter.
    The braiding was done by paint only, using the following, but dont quote me on the exact colours as it was awhile ago. Base coated in Vallejo Med Tan, and then dry brushed Vallejo Old Gold over the raised areas. It then recieved a wash with a mixture of Raw Sienna and Raw Umber(oils). I then used Naples Yellow(oils) and a fine brush and put a small diagonal stroke every 1mm or so over each strip (dont use dots as it looks a bit fake). Once that was done and dry, I did another wash as before to bring the colours together and not be so stark.
    Hope that helps with your one and hope to see it soon.
    Ben
  18. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Hey Ben,
    Wayne again;..after seeing your piece,went over mine with tooth and comb before I start....I can't believe that the braids and detail were not meant to be sculpted in? I dragged the back of my finger nail across and could feel that there is ,or partially lines there to handle a wash;but not after a primer;maybe just ink;............gonna have to figure it out.
    I don't think the sculptor meant it to be hand painted.Cartacci must have gotten the first one out of the mold.......anyway, thanks for the inspiration and ideas to start mine...........Keep up the good work.................Printing your pics for my folder so in a small way consider yourself immortalized.......Best Regards,..Wayne
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Wayne,
    maybe I wasnt as clear as I had ment to be, yes there are lines sculpted in to represent the individual lines/strips of braid, but there is no sculpted little diagonal lines on each of these strips to represent the weave of the braid. I personally prefer it this way as I like to paint this sort of detail, it tends to look more realistic.
    Thanks for your interest and its a pleasure to have my work inspire others such as yourself. Love to see yours when you get onto it
    Ben