1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed George Washington

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by JGREEN, Mar 30, 2017.

1. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for all the comments guys! Much appreciated.

Jason
  2. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Adrian and Tom! I think that's one of the best compliments possible - to have a distinctive and recognizable style!

Jason
  3. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    The texturing is not too difficult, just takes a little practice. I start by base coating the item to be textured as usual, including some preliminary highs and lows. Then I use a sponging technique to apply paint. Nothing detailed at this point, just general areas of light, mid-tones and shadow following the shape of the object (what I mean is I'm not shading individual folds at this point). For the sponge, I cut off a little piece of the foam that comes in figure kits. If the paint is the right consistency, and you press lightly with the sponge, it will leave the desired texture. After several passes with the sponge to where I'm satisfied, I switch to a brush. Now I get a little more precise with the highlights, shadows, transitions, etc. I use an old brush (that I dont care about ruining the point of) and use a stippling technique to apply the paint. The last step is then to take a good brush and do all the detail work, reinforce some of the shadows under folds, etc. Hope that helps!

Jason
    John Bowery and Babelfish like this.
  4. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jerry! Yes, I do use the same basic formula, unless of course it's an ethnic skintone. I start with Cork Brown, Dark Red, and Basic Skintone (and maybe just a TOUCH of German Camo Black Brown). Add more Basic Skintone and a bit more Dark Red for highlights, up to pure Basic Skintone for the highest. For shadows, I use the following colors in various combinations: Burnt Cadmium Red, English Uniform, Prussian Blue, GC Black Brown, and a pinch of black is used in the beard areas.

Jason
  5. Jerry Hutter Member

United-States
    Thanks Jason. That stippling technique is being used a lot these days. I took a painting class last year with Kirill Kanaev and he uses it on almost everything. Never thought about the sponging.
    JGREEN likes this.
  6. maui Active Member

Italy
    Great style, I really like the technique used. They have said it all, congratulations!
    JGREEN likes this.
  7. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Maui!

Jason
  8. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    JGREEN likes this.
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jason,
    Superb and your best yet.
    Cheers
    John
    JGREEN likes this.
  10. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ian and John!

Jason
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    That is a wonderful piece of artwork

Nothing more can be said ..congratulations

Nap

Why not enter a piece in FOTM as well!
    JGREEN and sd0324 like this.
  12. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Nap!

Jason
  13. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Totally stunning. Is spectacullar.
  14. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Metal Extremo!

Jason
  15. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

excellent painting wonderful work
    JGREEN likes this.
  16. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Mobo!

Jason
  17. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful brushwork as always Jason (y)!

Joe
    JGREEN likes this.
  18. JGREEN A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Joe!

Jason