1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique General of Division D'Hautpoul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sculpt finished except for chin ties to come later from Duro. These are poor quality iPad photos. Will take some better ones later and I will open a new string for the painting SBS.

Colin

image.jpg

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek, Tarracus, Sokol and 6 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent rendition Colin!!! If you write this one is a Pegaso or Romeo I will believe in you. Sensational!

Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Pedro. Actually, this is my second D'Hautpoul. My son reminded me of this scratch 1/48th mounted version I did some years ago. From the tiny to the gigantic.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  4. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Outstanding!!! Looking forward to seeing it at MFCA this year now that you're retired and are going to attend Shows.:eek::rolleyes:
    Don't forget to bring Canadian Colin Duece's Cossacks with you in case he can't make it.:LOL:

Bob
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Bob - I would say MFCA is 60:40 right now, mostly I because I don't have a passport and am one of the great procrastinators. But I will try. We seem to be building some momentum for a Canadian herd visit this year and Mr Semenko has been overheard to express interest. Peer pressure may help :)

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Its looking really great now mate,those straps are increadible,the detail is superb,im loving watching it come together (y)
    crf likes this.
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    1/48 great scale! Very nice btw.(y)

Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    This is for size. Big sucker. $20 worth of sculpey! Sorry about the ugly mug :) Almost a small library bust. I couldn't even get him in the oven vertically once assembled.

Colin

image.jpg
    Tarracus, Martin64, Sokol and 4 others like this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin,
    The sculpt of General of Division D'Hautpoul is outstanding very well done indeed, look forward to the painting SBS.(y)

The one to one sculpt of the actor Ray Winstone next to the bust has a canny likeness aswell.:LOL:;):whistle:
    cheers
    Richie
    ray-winstone1.jpg
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    My old boss used to call me Qui Gon due to me being the only accountant in Toronto with long hair and some apparent similarity to Mr Neeson that I have never seen myself. Ray Winstone works :)

Colin
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Fantastic work Colin,
    I think that getting this level of detail so fine is as awesome as it gets........but to do it twice and as a mirror image is the sign of a great truly sculptor.
    As you know I am really keen on this larger scale and this is one that I will aspire to.
    Sometimes I think that some sculpts can be so fine that they speak for them self without the paint. For me this is one of those pieces.
    So well done Colin. How the hell are you going to match this?
    All the very best,
    Keith
    crf likes this.
  12. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Keith....that is very nice to hear. Lynne said the same thing re. him not needing paint. But I will nevertheless bury him in colour. I will likely be slowing down now as I have a 3 week starting next week.....so much for retirement. I also need to plan out painting him. I intend to paint the non-metals and then satin coat them before doing the metals. I have no experience doing large expanses of metal either so I shall move ahead carefully and do some testing with different paints. This is one I don't want to abort and strip due to the fine detail.

Cheers

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I say this with all the greatest respect and admiration I can muster... And take this as coming from a brother and friend...

I kinda hate you a little bit right now... but just a little bit.

You know how I feel about busts but I think I can honestly say this is probably my favourite bust... one-off or commercial. I dig the subject matter, the detail blows me away, the execution is dead on... try as I might, I can't find a single thing to bitch about. And believe me I tried.

I do hope my brilliant green skintone fades before Hamilton :wideyed: All joking aside, you've done a fantastic job and should be proud of the result.

MFCA is Philly right? I'd love to go. Gotta get a passport too. We'll discuss this further in the Hammer.

Colin
    crf and Wings5797 like this.
  14. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, Your bust looks terrific, and all those details are incredible. The brass nailheads look great for the rivets on the cuirass. It looks like you're going to have to sculpt another Napoleonic Officer, so you can have a set of bookends for your library shelf. One possible suggestion to you, have you ever used Rub-n-buff for any of your metallics? I have seen others who have used them for armor plating for their knight figures/busts, even on intricate detail. They do give some amazing results, mirror like appearance if used with satin, or gloss finishing sprays. And they look great with ink washes that you like to use. Maybe an idea you could use. Waiting to see this painted Colin, beautiful work. Regards,SG:)(y)(y)(y)
    crf likes this.
  15. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin

A very impressive result, with a crispness of detail that really makes this work. I'm a fan of these larger scale busts and this is a very nice one.
    John
    crf likes this.
  16. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Hi Colin

Wow...Gorgeous and perfect work. Pure and fine sculpting, beautiful details, excellent draperies, everything is perfect. I'll have more to study this thread in more detail when more time on it. Superb Work and famous SBS(y)(y)(y) ...

Cheers Borek
    crf likes this.
  17. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very, very nice indeed great sculpt a credit to you, looking forward to seeing him painted

Keep up the good work

ian
    crf likes this.
  18. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    fantastic work
    crf likes this.