1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique General of Division D'Hautpoul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, The Cuirass is taking shape nicely. Do you plan to add the Cuirass liner as well?? Really looking impressive Colin. Regards, SG:)(y)(y)
    crf likes this.
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Yes SG....the liner gets pressed into the openings after the epaulettes and tunic detail are finished. Got to preserve access.

Colin
    Sturm Grenadier likes this.
  3. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Glad to here this Colin. It gives you the chance to add more color to your Cuirass. Were there any other colors for the liner besides red?? You've really peaked my interest in this type of uniform and armor, hope you don't mind my questions. Regards,SG:)(y)
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    From the paintings I have seen the lining is trimmed with a double silver tape. Nice with the gold epaulettes. Here is a reenactor cuirass that shows the lining. The link I posted earlier on page 2 has many pages of cuirassier general info...it's focused on re enacting but those guys do their homework, at least the good ones do. I have him in the oven right now with one of the linings in. Will upload a picture tonight.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    And here we go. Lining of flattened sculpey pressed in with a brush wetted with clay softener. I will paint the tapes on, no point in sculpting them for a one-off.

Colin

Borek, Lasalle, Richie and 2 others like this.
  6. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for posting the info on the liner Colin, those are some great photos. Sure wish this wasn't a one-of, it definitely is a detailers delight, everything is there. It sure would be a great one to paint, as I'm sure your looking forward to. It sure looks amazing. Regards,SG:)
    crf likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more shots with the head tacked in....again not properly settled. I have added all of the lining except the front chest. My wife thinks his cuirass is too big. She might have a point but if so I don't think it is off by much. Napoleonic armour was not small and people were generally smaller then. I did his chest in putty before armouring him and he looked ok. No way I am restarting now in any case. :)

Colin

8. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This looks pretty darn good if I may say so! ;)

Joe
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Sorry I have missed a load of your posts here Colin.
    Having caught up I am lost for words at your progress and superb detail.
    Every thing about the head, helmet neck and collar are so good, oak leaves, chin scales, plume, rivets I love them all.
    Can hardly wait for the next installment.
    I know I say it every time but so far for me this is your best to date.
    Astounding! Well done Mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack and napoleonpeart like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

Oooohh he is a big boy ...fantastic work on the head/helmet , wonderful details ...the cuirass is coming along a treat ...this painted is going to be a show stopper ....following with smiles on my face!!!

Thanks for the SBS

Nap
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    This is frigging awesome!!!
    I think the cuirass looks fine, proportion wise. The last liner ruffle and the clasp-ends of the shoulder straps will make it seem smaller too. If you do the gilt crest it will take away even more of the broad expanse of plain steel.
    I'm with Keith, every new bust you do shows great improvement and refinements from the one before, so it's logical to say "This is your best one yet" :D

If you're bringing all your busts to the Hammer, I won't even bother packing my Zaporozhian bust... It will be a wasted trip for him :unsure: I predict a crf sweep of the podium... Like Norwegian Xcountry skiers.

Cheers

Colin t'Other
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This is just brilliant colin,that helmet looks the dogs b------s mate,brilliant work(y)
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents....nice thing about doing an SBS is the ongoing encouragement. Here is the central palm motif specific to D'Hautpoul's armour. You can see it on the attached Benigni postcard from Bucquoy.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Shoulder straps going in.

image.jpg
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Riveting! Brass picture hanging nails have nice rounded heads and fit the Bill.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Shoulder strap detail done. Each scale is a ball of sculpey pressed flat with a size 0 colour shaper. The embossed detail on the fasteners is inspired by the attached photo from an Osenat auction catalogue. You will notice I had to shorten the fasteners due to the frontal emblem. I didn't want to do the boring clips shown above on the Benigni print.

So now I just need to do the tunic oak leaves around the neck, set his head, add chin scale ties and his legion d'honneur, top of epaulette detail, and add the collar frontal armour lining (this listing serves as my to do list so I don't forget anything).....ah yes, his horse hair main as well. :)

BTW .... Fine sculpey rolled and formed into shapes like the cuirass lining is very brittle, even when using grey firm sculpey. You can protect against breakage to some degree by painting the cured clay with sculpey's own glaze. You can see where I have applied it by the gloss sheen.

Colin

17. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin
    First class stuff. That is one fine looking cuirass. Very clean and accurately modelled. Looking forward to the paint.
    BTW I have found a local ebenisterie near me that is going to quote me for turned hardwood bases for busts. I'll let you know if they work out.
    John
    crf likes this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks and excellent news John....Merci beaucoup!

Colin
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

Simply brilliant work , this is your best and with such great details , if this was a commercial piece I would vertainly be looking at one now on my bench ....I am particularly impressed by the way the cuirass has come out ......the helmet is spectacular

Like everyone else I am looking forward to the painting ..its going to blow us away I am sure .

Just wish I could spand as much time modelling/painting rather than go to work .

Looking forward to seeing more and thanks again for such a great SBS

Nap
    crf likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    "Riveting"... That's funny :LOL::rolleyes:
    The shoulder straps, clasps and the palm crest look amazing... and definitely "narrowed" the look of the cuirass. Perfect. I really dig the idea of the small nail heads as rivets... very uniform and probably much faster and easier than trying to make each one individually.
    I'm dying to see this in the flesh... Hamilton can't come fast enough.

Colin the Impatient
    Wings5797 and crf like this.