1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique General of Division D'Hautpoul

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Feb 17, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Some more progess. Embroidered his collar oak leaves with yellow sculpey - same method as previously used on Marshal Ney.

Colin

P1010247.JPG P1010249.JPG P1010250.JPG
    P1010251.JPG P1010252.JPG P1010254.JPG
    Borek, tiberius57, Tarracus and 6 others like this.
  2. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Following this one Colin. Nice start!

Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  3. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin

An excellent start and some challenges to come. No doubt the references you have will help you to make something special out of this.
    John
    crf likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin ,

Following this with joy ...great start on the collar ..its going to look great when done ..with the cuirass ..well what can I say except no sleeping till this is done

Thanks for sharing your work so distinctive and great to look at WIP

Nap
    crf likes this.
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Borek, napoleonpeart and ChaosCossack like this.
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    french-napoleonic-armour-cuirass.jpg french-napoleonic-cuirassier-helmet.jpg miniarmour_b.jpg 99-024229.jpg cuirofsup12.jpg Personally I perfer the Minerva style helmet... much more elegant

Colin
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    That's what I settled on. I just had to make sure that they were available to general officers as early as 1807.

Colin
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Colin ,

Great stuff and references ....I do like this version as well [IMG]......

how about the full head with a choice of headwear:facepalm:

Nap
    crf likes this.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Started his Minerva lelmet. Quite a challenge. It looks imbalanced but I think it is OK. He just has it on slightly squint, which can happen with something so heavy.

Next step to add chin scales and the lion embossed roundels to the tops of the chin straps.

Colin

P1010256.JPG P1010257.JPG P1010258.JPG
    P1010259.JPG P1010261.JPG P1010260.JPG
  10. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Absolute cracking helmet and cuirass
    crf likes this.
  11. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Man, this is going to be awesome!!! I figured the helmet would be the biggest challenge of this project... the crown in particular... but you are pulling it off famously. Look forward to seeing how you tackle the helmet crest.

Colin
    crf likes this.
  12. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin That's not easy to get a crisp round helmet shape. Very nicely done sir. This will be really impressive with the plume on top.

John
    crf likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Chin scales done.

Colin

Image1.jpg Image2.jpg Image3.jpg Image4.jpg
    Borek, tiberius57, Tonton and 3 others like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Awesome indeed guys ...great start on the helmet ...chin scales look good

Keep it going Colin you are putting my stuff to shame!!!!

Have you ever thought of doing acommercial piece??

Nap
    crf likes this.
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Nap. I think I work too quickly for commercial work....specifically I may be a bit sloppy for casting my stuff. I also do a lot of the detail in paint rather than sculpting it. That would frustrate painters. Finally, I work in a larger scale that would probably not be a big seller. Now that I have retired my production has increased and I may consider selling completed pieces or taking he odd commission in future.

Thanks for the compliment.

Colin
    ChaosCossack and napoleonpeart like this.
  16. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Colin, I was wondering if you were going to add the turban portion of the helmet, it looks great. The helmet is really taking shape, the chin strap looks amazing. Colin, not to get ahead of your work on the helmet, Did D'Hautpoul, have any other ornaments on his breastplate armor other than the crest? I have posted a brestplate worn by Calkoen, French made, to show the detail. The oak leaves are the same as on D'Hautpoul's collar. Thought it was interesting. Regards, SG Dutchtextiles7b.jpg
    Borek, Lasalle and crf like this.
  17. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi SG, I have seen French cuirassier general officer armour with gold leaf added but have not seen any depictions of D'Hautpoul wearing this sort of ornamental armour. Actually all of the pictures of D'Hautpoul I have seen just show the frontal emblem as cuirass decoration. So I will go with that. The Minerva helmet was a bit of a guess but it is shown in a couple of pictures of the general. I will sculpt him down to just below the top if his sash so I get a chance to paint it a bit. Thanks for taking the trouble. Here are a couple of shots of a general's armour from Pigeard's Encyclopaedia of Napoleonic Uniforms.

Colin

image.jpg image.jpg
    Borek and Sturm Grenadier like this.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Completed the form on which the comb detail will be sculpted after additional sanding and smoothing. Tough to get an acceptable shape and slope. He has developed a small bump under the right eye that will require surgery - the perils of baking sculpey too many times. FYI - I notched the helmet with a dremel to seat the comb into it in order to increase stability and durability.

Colin

P1010275.JPG P1010277.JPG P1010279.JPG P1010281.JPG
    Borek, Lasalle, Tonton and 5 others like this.
  19. John Ballard Well-Known Member

Colin Looking very nice already. I'm looking forward to see this with its metallic finish.
    John
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks John. BTW I saw your posting on Currie on the MM forum. I noticed your detailed account of moving to Jo Sonja's. I want to try them as well. Have you tried them with a stay wet palette. That should defer drying time and keep the colour mixes alive longer.

Colin