1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique General of Division D'Hautpoul 1807

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, May 11, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my complete (except for a base label) portrait of Cuirassier general D'Hautpoul, mortally wounded in the great cavalry charge at Eylau in 1807. The model is large scale piece probably about 1/5 or so. It is scratch built 100%, primarily from sculpey firm, plus a few nails and some epoxy here and there. The base is turned rosewood from Ken Thomas. Painted as per usual in Vallejo, Golden and Liquitex Pro acrylics. Also lots of ink washes. Gold and silver lace is NMM with a light wash of acrylic ink. Metals are Sargent bottled liquid metals with ink washes.

P1010037lrg.JPG

Colin

P1010037lrg.JPG P1010039.jpg P1010041.jpg
    P1010043.jpg P1010050.jpg P1010051.jpg
    P1010057.jpg P1010059.jpg P1010061.jpg
    P1010062lrg.JPG P1010063.jpg P1010065.jpg
    Lasalle, NickM, Richie and 14 others like this.
  2. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Absolutely beautiful, probably the best bust I've ever seen.

Jonesy
    pmfs and crf like this.
  3. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Don't know why but I can't see the photos.:(

Pedro.
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Sorry Pedro - I uploaded crappy iPad photos and just changed them to better ones from my Olympus. You must have been looking between delete and replace. Should be OK now.

Colin
    pmfs likes this.
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal

+1(y)

cheers
    taffjones and crf like this.
  6. bwildfong Well-Known Member

Canada
    A stunning finish to this project Colin! Thanks for sharing the progress and techniques with us - I learned a lot via your WIP even though I'll likely never turn my hand to a bust project.

Cheers,

Brian
    crf likes this.
  7. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Incredible.
    crf likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Colin,

Can't disagree with these words from the prophet Jonesy ........

.just one thing to add ...STUNNING WORK and a really enjoyable SBS .

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Wings5797, taffjones and crf like this.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Yep! Absolutely beautiful just about sums it up for me too. (y)

Roger.
    crf likes this.
  10. Helm A Fixture

England
    Superb sculpting and painting Colin you really should think about doing some commercial sculpts mate (y)
    Steve
    crf likes this.
  11. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now that does look very nice indeed, it's a credit to you very well done all round.

ian
    crf likes this.
  12. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Holeee s@*&. (y)
    crf likes this.
  13. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom

I like the sound of being a prophet.

Jones
    napoleonpeart and crf like this.
  14. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Absolutely top class work! Thanks Colin for sharing your "magic" with us. Super class skills, my friend.
    Looks fantastic on this base.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    crf likes this.
  15. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Man!!!!....What's not to like about that!....Great sculpt....Great paint....Very impressive to say the least.
    Best regards and keep up the great work........Wayne
    crf likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful work from putty to paint... all has already been said that can be said.

Having seen this badboy in person, I can attest to it's beauty... breathtaking. As I looked at it I almost expected it to look back and ask "What the hell are you looking at?"

Bravo

Colin
    Wings5797 and crf like this.
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    All of those hours of work have really paid off Colin.
    As you know I thought that it was a shame to paint such a great sculpt but I am now taking my hat off to you Mate.
    It would be futile of me to try to list all of the things I like about this work so I will just steal T'other Colins quote and say "Beautiful work from putty to paint... all has already been said that can be said".
    Very well done Mate and thank you for walking us through it from start to finish.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  18. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Beautifully done Colin.
    Never easy to convincingly paint a bust in this scale but you've got it about as good as it gets.(y)
    Temptation is to add wear and weathering which given the status of the individual would not be appropriate so very well done. The face is superb.
    The only thing that I would add is a deeper shadow where the shoulder straps lie on the cuirass, although that might just be a washout effect from the lighting.
    Cheers
    Derek
    crf likes this.
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent painting Colin. Well done mate.
    crf likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks everyone for your very generous and welcome comments. It was a big project and I learned a lot too. Not too much I would do differently if I had to do it again so I guess that's good. It was a lot of fun to do this one but now I am left with the question "what now?" Lots of ideas, including the far less impressive modern camo uniform of Captain Diagne.

Cheers

Colin