1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique General of Brigade Fournier - bust ~1/6

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ACCOUNT_DELETED, Jul 4, 2014.

1. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my completed sculpted bust of General of Brigade Fournier (not using the -Sarloveze suffix to his name as it is a post-war Bourbon addition). He is undercoated and the neck is attached temporarily with stick tack. This is probably the most complex project I have done to date and he took 2 full boxes of sculpey firm. This string will be used to show progress on painting. Won't be starting til next week though as my paints are off site at the moment.

I will be painting him in acrylics and inks.This has to be one of the most striking uniforms of the Napoleonic period. The velvet dolman will be a challenge to paint.

Sculpting and some historical background was shown in a prior string. His shako looks too big in some shots but that is a photographic perspective issue. He could have worn it and based on test fits it fit perfectly.

Colin

P1010027sml.jpg

P1010003.JPG P1010001.JPG P1010014.JPG P1010016.JPG P1010017.JPG P1010028.JPG P1010025.JPG P1010023.JPG P1010022.JPG P1010021.JPG P1010019.JPG
    Gellso, Manfred, Range Rat and 19 others like this.
  2. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Lovely work Colin, what's the difference between sculpey and sculpey firm, apart from the obvious ?
    crf likes this.
  3. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Impressive result - interesting subject - speed sculpting - professional detail work - what else to say?
    Cheers, Martin
    crf likes this.
  4. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Paul - Sculpey firm is dark grey, which aids in seeing detail when working....much better than standard flesh coloured sculpey. More importantly it is much more durable when cooked. It also sands well. I use a lot of clay softener when working and do a lot of sculpting with a brush to get a smooth surface. You can roll it almost as thinly as epoxy putty as well.

Cheers

Colin
  5. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks Colin ill give it a go
    crf likes this.
  6. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    WOW!! Fantastic work Colin!!
    I love it!

Regards
    Pedro
    crf likes this.
  7. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Absolutely stunning work, Colin! This is a massive piece! Wow!
    Looking forward to the painting process and will follow closely!
    Cheers mate!
    Zeno
    P.S. Any chances to see it next Saturday?
    crf likes this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Zeno....here is a shot of him in my hand for scale. Pretty much a handful. The show is a question mark right now. I may be in Stratford. If I have a car available I should make it but auto availability depends on the needs of the many (i.e. My offspring).

Colin

image.jpg
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Colin,

This is an amazing piece of sculpting , lacework really nice and the face looks great ...can't wait to see the painted version come to life

Thanks for sharing..an awesome piece

Nap
    crf likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Outstanding!!!! That guy is a monster!
    Hang some dangling legs and you could do a ventriloquist act ;)

The detail is mind boggling... right down to the inner edge of the dolman, where it hooks up. The braidwork on the sleeves, both dolman and pelisse, is amazing.
    Can't wait to see colour on it. If you don't make the show next Saturday, I believe Paul will be hosting the next meeting later this month... You better bring it then :sneaky:

Colin
    crf likes this.
  11. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Will do my best to make the show. If not, will try even harder to make Paul's get together for our little group.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It would be a great idea to cast some of these.
    I will definitely will buy one.

Marc
    Osvald and crf like this.
  13. RIKARDO Member

United-States
    And nice detail's.....
    crf likes this.
  14. swralph A Fixture

Superb
    crf likes this.
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Stunning piece of sculpting,i cant add anymore (y)

Brian
    crf likes this.
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Impressive work Colin!

Cheers
    Adrian
    crf likes this.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Colin, Very nice, but WOW! is he big. :)
    crf likes this.
  18. akaryu Moderator

Belgium
    Stunning work!
    crf likes this.
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks gents. He is big but looks bigger than he is in that photo above due to iPad distortion. Here is a better idea. The pelisse doesn't help. Excuse the early morning blank look. Hard to tell which head is more lifelike :)

I have started another one as my paints are unavailable. Next bust is Colonel Gourgaud as Officier d'Ordnance to the Emperor. Again about 1/5 scale. Will start a new string for him when I get far enough.

Colin

image.jpg
    Manfred, Tonton, Osvald and 3 others like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Brilliant work Colin...good to see the little chap with you ..not sure about the blank look though!!!!

Really looking forward to seeing the paint appear and to seeing the next bust thread come along ....again I will say ....

Amazing work wonderful details

Thanks for sharing

Nap

Ps Reckon I might move to Canada with you guys !!!!
    crf likes this.