1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

General Grant

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by MikkoH, Mar 15, 2006.

1. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Could you experts tell me how tall (or short) was Yank Genral Ulysess Grant? I'm planning doing him and info would be wery wellcome! :)

Cheers Mikko
  2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko,

I am no expert but I did a Google search and this is what I came up with.

Joe

http://www.whitehouse.gov/kids/presidents/ulyssesgrant.html

Presidential Number: 18th
    Years he was President: 1869-1877
    State Represented: Illinois
    Party Affiliation: Republican
    Fact(s): He was a Civil War General. Fought in the Mexican War.

Personal
    Birthday: April 27, 1822
    How old would he be this year? 184
    School(s) attended: United States Military Academy, West Point
    Wife: Julia Grant
    Occupation(s) before he was President: Army Officer
    Height: <span style='color:purple'>5 feet 8 inches</span>
    Hobbies or Sports: Swimming
  3. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Thanks Joe! This means he was abt 173cm tall.. damn he was taller than me.. :lol:

Cheers Mikko
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, This is one aspect of a portrait figure that is normally left out. A pat on the back to you for making the effort. If you need uniform info Pf is the place to come to.~Gary
  5. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Well thank you gary! :) I try to be as realistic as possible on these things. No reason to make him giant if he really wasn't. Good example is confederate genral Joseph. B. Davis, he really wasn't a size of basketball player. :lol: I do have old FSM where is a colour profile of Grant and also man at arms books so I think I have no problem with uniform. Most difficult, I think, is to give him face thet looks like him. But if I have problems I know I can count on Pf. :)

Cheers Mikko
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Mikko, Here is a link to a site that has what can only be the largest collection of photographs of civil War Generals. I believe there are 38 pages of photos just for U. S. Grant alone!~Gary

http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/ngg/grantus.htm
  7. nagashino New Member

Hello Gary

Some site that one - a bust sculptor's paradise!

How did U.S.Grant find time to be a general - he must've spent most of his life sat in front of a camera! :lol: Thanks for the link - some fascinating stuff.

Regards

Phil
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Phil, I would venture to say that a lot of the Grant images were probably taken by Mathew Brady, or at least by his studio in Washington. A lot of Brady's negatives/photos are in the library of Congress collection.~Gary
  9. MikkoH Member

Finland
    Thank you Gary! Absolutely great site! Very helpful!:) And Best collection of beards and moustaches that money can buy! :lol:

Cheers Mikko
  10. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary
    thanks for posting the link it really is a mine of information