1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

genealogy + figure painting

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Pete_H, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Pete_H New Member

Gray,
    Interesting discussion topic :) I think I gravitated towards what you mentioned after I joined the hobby. And to this, I don't think I really had much of an interest in this until after I started making miniatures of "real people," particularly of those from E/506 PIR of "Band of Brothers" fame. Hopefully, I'll be starting a couple of projects sometime this summer - yes, I schedule my projects in advance (hey, I'm a math geek so sue me :lol: ) - that are of direct relatives of mine: Gen. James L. Kemper (CSA) and S/Sgt. Ruben Romer (505PIR/82 Abn.Div). It's fascinating what you learn about your ancestors while planning your projects-in-miniature.
  2. amherbert Member

Hi Gray

Well, I haven't worked on figures of any direct relatives, but I'm of British descent (first generation Canadian) and I find my painted knights are English or Scottish and most of my figure interests are British Empire or their opponents. We have family members who served in the Royal Navy, Royal Engineers and Royal Artillery, and all of those subjects interest me.

Years ago I visited a castle associated with my distant forebears. Very cool.

I find working on figures much more interesting than armor or ship kits, in part because of that personal contact. Strange to say for little pieces of metal, resin, or plastic, but true!

Cheers
    Andy
  3. Randy Myers Member

United-States
    Although I never thought about it before I got into miniature figures, I find the idea of portraying relatives fascinating. I have a great-great-grandfather and his brother who fought with Ohio regiments in the Civil War. I know what units they were in, but don't have any photos. I've thought about modeling my Dad or my Grandfather in their WWII Navy uniforms too.
  4. Manfred Active Member

For a Jon Smith 120mm figure I supplied a photo of one of my grandas brothers and he did a good likeness and put it into the box as an alternative head.

I have pics from my grandpa mothers side who unfortunately served in two world wars and would like to attempt figures of these when I think my sculpting skills have improved enough for a likeness, which I consider extremely hard, and which will take quite a while judging by my latest session ...