1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Gen Montgomery, Life Miniatures bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jul 13, 2014.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

It's been a while since I last updated my VBench, so here's my latest project; Monty.

The sculpting on this bust is simply exquisite so really the painter can go nuts on the detail. The face is such a very good likeness and has so much detail that its hard to know when to stop.

As you can see the bust looks fairly advanced, but as always looks are deceiving.;) The acrylics are largely finished (except for the service ribbons on the tunic and the badges on the beret) but now begins the oil washes. These will take some time to complete as they require additional drying time.

I hope you like the way its heading. As I always I welcome any feedback or criticism. IMG_1849.JPG

Attached Files:

2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice! Great job.

Colin
  3. kiwi45 Active Member

New_Zealand
    Exellent work Tony
    Les
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Colin & Les,

Thanks for your comments guys. There's still much to be done on this bust. Hopefully you'll see some improvements when I post the next WIP pics.
  5. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Nice work ,should look brilliant when finished .
  6. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Looks the business so far, Tony. Another great bust in the making.
    I was reading a little about him recently, and was surprised to find out Monty actually spent his early years down in Tassie!
  7. Mark S Guest

Nice work Tony, ....check the exposure on your next pics, these one's a little over exposed.
  8. swralph A Fixture

Looking very nice.To me the tie looks like wood
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I will be interested in watching how you merge the 2 media. I have often thought of putting oil over acrylic but never have. Makes sense though as acrylic can be a good base coat whether shade or not.

Colin
  10. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great work tony,the face looks superb,good to see you painting again mate,I hope that dickhead next door isn't causing you anymore problems :)
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks for your comments guys, I greatly appreciate them.

Brian, my next door neighbour's loud music is actually affecting my desire to go into my modelling room as it breaks up my concentration and I just can't get my flow going. Hopefully the cops will eventually take his stereo away and I can get some peace and quiet. :love:
    smudger1960 likes this.
  12. cimeterre de figurines Active Member

France
    Nicely done Tony, great job for a great figure(y)
    Cheers
    Xavier
  13. Snowy Member

Australia
    Looks real good to me Tony. I know a bloke in England who does Monty (as a reenactor) and he looks just like him. What size is that one? Sorry to hear about the noisy neighbour.
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Firstly, thanks for the comments everyone.
    Snowy, the scale of this bust is 1/10th.
    Here are the latest WIP pics. My apologies for the crappy iPhone pics. There's something wrong with my good camera (Yes, Mark S it's probably the small brained monkey operating it ;))
    As you can see I've made some more progress with the service ribbons and now I'm working on the beret badges. The last steps will involve a series of oil washes over the face to get the right skin tone and texture and dirty up the woollen jacket and darken the fur.

I hope you like.
    IMG_1858.JPG IMG_1859.JPG IMG_1860.JPG IMG_1861.JPG IMG_1862.JPG IMG_1863.JPG
  15. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Bad pictures can't disguise a great model Tony. Well done.

Colin
  16. Snowy Member

Australia
    For some reason on my iPad I am seeing your iPhone shots side on, however, standout items for me are the spot on battledress tunic colour, gold chain, wool look on the woolen jacket. I would have to compare Monty's actual decorations to be sure but they look right. No doubt you have done that already. 'Ruddy good show old boy, as they say.
  17. Franckythefrench Active Member

France
    great job!!! it's simply...excellent!
  18. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks guys,

Snowy, yes the service ribbons on the battledress tunic are correct as of 1944, when Monty was C in C 21st Army Group in ETO.
    He was awarded plenty more after the war. The IPhone neck phenomena is one that we all must endure I'm afraid.

Here's a bit more progress with Monty. Still working on the beret badges and the wool texture of the leather jacket.
    IMG_1864.JPG

Attached Files:

19. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Tony good job though frustrated viewing as all these photos seem to be loaded on their side when viewed on my iPad

Grrrrrrr ...
  20. Tarracus A Fixture

Fantastic job! (y)
    Could you upload the next pictures in thumbnails mode?.. Then they will adjust when maiximized automatically to everyone's screen size..