1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gen. George Meade, 1/32 figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 27, 2007.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States

All that I need is to put a little flap on his backside.~Gary
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sculpting Meade's boots

I decided to sculpt Meade's boots before starting the trousers. The main portion of the boots are fairly loose and tighter around the ankle. One interesting feature of these boots are the straps behind the knee that help to keep the portion of the boot in front of the knee upright. I thought that by doing the boots first it would be easier to do the back portion of the trousers behind the knees. The photograph shows a pair of boots worn by Meade. If you look at the photograph the figure is based on the boots shown here are at the least of the same pattern. Look at the rear of the portion of the boot that goes around the area of the knee. The angled attitude of it looks as if something is pulling it in. In my opinion this is caused by the strap being tightened in order to either hold this part of the boot up and or keep the trousers in.

Attached Files:

3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Lookin good Gary.............keep on going.
  4. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    I like a good research
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Sorry for the break after the first post.

I started the boots by mixing both Aves Apoxie Sculpt and a smaller amount of Duro. This leaves me with a mint colored mixture making the work easier to see. The first step is to get the overall shape of the boot. Sorry the pictures are not that great.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the first folds/creases are added. These along with the shape of the boots need a little more work.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The boots following the addition of the top of the boots, minus the very corners of the top which will be added later.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the right trouser leg has been added along with the main folds. I will work in more by carving and filing additional folds.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the figure overall so far. I did carve and file the larger fold on the front of the trouser leg.

Attached Files:

10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looks really nice Gary, Has me itching to finally try to sculpt something!

Joe
  11. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Another great sbs Gary. Really enjoy watching both the process and the progress you are making.

John
  12. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks great so far Gary,very helpful also!
    christos
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    great boots !!
  14. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for the comments. The other trouser leg was also added yesterday. Before I post more in the way of pictures some material on the right leg needs to be removed.~Gary
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here I have added the other trouser leg. I have worked the right trouser leg down a bit as it was too baggy. I still have more to do on them and the top part of the boots. One thing I noticed was the right foot looks angled. It is, but not because it was pinned crooked. The sole of the boot casting is angled at the toe but sits flat at the heel.~Gary

Attached Files:

16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The overall figure so far. I may do a basic mock-up of the coat using Sculpey so I can see what areas of the trousers need more work.

Attached Files:

17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    How I cure my putty

Besides it's working time the other big drawback putty has is it's curing time. I've found through trial and error that using an oven, even on a low setting to speed up curing can result in disaster. One thing that works really well for me is a desk lamp. The 40 watt bulb generates enough heat to cure the putty without incident. I usually place the piece 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the bulb.

Attached Files:

18. LCoote New Member

Australia
    G'day Gary

I haven't been around here in a long time, great seeing your work again.

Leigh
  19. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great step forward Gary.
    For your information. I've put my first aproch with Sculpy under 100W bulb. To be at the point in my drybox.
    Was hardened in 1/2 hour.

Marc
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, Thanks. Good to hear from you. Do you have anything new your working on?~Gary