1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gen. George Meade, 1/32 figure

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by garyjd, Apr 27, 2007.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I decided to take a short break from doing flat art to sculpt a figure. I have always wanted to do a figure of George Meade based on the photograph below. As luck would have it Shenandoah Miniatures has a head in one of their spare parts packs that was no doubt copied from the photo.The link below is for those wanting to read some biographical information on Meade's career.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/sidebar/meadebio.htm

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The figure is in it's early stages of construction with the armature needing some refining, so it more closely resembles Meade's physical appearance. It's also best for the armature to be a bit slimmer than the figure so the uniform does not end up being too bulky on the figure. The shoe blanks are castings from Latorre and are perfect for Civil War period bootees and boots. Note the resemblance of the head to the photograph in the first post.

Attached Files:

3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Cool subject, pard! Can't wait to see more progress.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Great idea for a figure, Gary! I look forward to your forthcoming magic!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hi Gary,looking good.I'm really looking forward to see the next step.kind regards John:)
  6. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Hello!
    It will be next great figure :) Can't wait to see it finished. Keep us posted!
    Hope to paint one of your beautiful sculptures other day.

Best regards
    Artur
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gary....it was a treat to see your paintings, but I think it's great to see you back here sculpting again.
    I like the kind of informal look to the creases in the jacket, and the boots are great. He will make a great project.
    I agree about the head too..it's certainly a good choice.

Does it feel good to work on a figure again..?

Looking forward to your progress with great interest...Roy.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, Dan, and John, Thanks for looking.~Gary
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Artur, Thanks for the kind words. I would really like to have you paint something I sculpted one day...soon.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roy, Thanks for the kind words. Yeah it feels good to be sculpting again. I made the armature 4 times and never imagined I'd be so rusty. It was quite a shock. I'm looking forward to doing BOTH figures and paintings.~Gary
  11. SPrimeau Active Member

United-States
    Gary, I agree with Roy, it's great to see another sculpting project from you. I look forward to seeing it progress!
    Scott
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great start. I'm sure it's going to turn out brilliant. Keep us posted

Stephen Mallia
  13. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thanks God, you are back. Not that i don't like to see you painting (you doing great) but man, i really like your sculpting. But sometimes, a litte break with something different will open the mind again.
    It looks already real good at this moment.
    Looking forward to your next step.

Marc
  14. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hi Gary
    Finally one sculpture........ good start...
    Have a nice time....... :)
    Saluti MAB ;)
  15. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Gary, Always a treat to follow your sbs. Looking forward to watching the progress and seeing it completed.

John
  16. phc35 Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Gary, really looks like the "old snapping turtle" as they called
    Meade. Keep up with the Pennsylvania history!!!!

Jay
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Thanks for all the kind words. Though I enjoy painting it's nice to be working on a miniature project.~Gary
  18. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Gary,

great to see you sculpting again !!! The start looks great and I´m looking forward to your next steps.

Weeks ago I asked myself, when you will get the first withdrawal symptoms... ;) ;) ;)

Take care,
    Markus
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States

Actually I've been wanting to get back to sculpting weeks ago. I wanted to start something new when I felt inspired and not because it was something I felt I HAD to do. After all of that it took building the armature four times to at least get it at a level I was okay with.~Gary
  20. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Our old Meade deserves a little more recognition
    your first pictures looks like Meade in his pijama's :D :D