1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gebirgsjager from Dtoys (sort of a review)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Michael Tse, Mar 5, 2010.

1. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi all,

Silly me, not managing the effortless task of including pics of this bust in my last post. As requested, I have presented here different profiles of Gebirgsjager. I have done close ups in the hope that it answers some of the specific questions from you regarding this bust.

Bit parts not shown here include part of cap, part of grenade and a bit of fag.

I put it next to Young Miniature's relative old kit featuring a similar camo uniform. Dtoys is 1/9 and Young 1/10 if I am not mistaken but they look pretty coherent in size right here. Do I smell conversion? :)

Like I said, for UK fellow modellers, this is available from Steve Kirtley at
    http://www.skminiatures.co.uk/

Strongly recommended. You won't be dissappointed.

Thanks for dropping by!

Michael

Attached Files:

2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    D-Toys Busts

Michael,

Thanks for answering my specific question re: his right collar patch, I shall have to contact Steve now!

Cheers,
    Chris(y)
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Micheal, thanks for posting, excellent sculpting from D-toys . (y)

Cheers Ken
  4. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Thanks guys for looking too!

Chris, I thought your question would be answered by that flower on the cap... Sorry I didn't take better pictures of the collars!
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    :)Thank you Michael(y)
  6. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Michael,
    The cap edelweiss identifies him as an SSS-Gebirgsjager, but the right collar patch identifies his specific Division. There were 2 SS-Gebirgsdivisions among the lower-numbered ones, 6th SS-Gebirgsdivision "Nord" & 7th SS-Freiwilligen- Gebirgsdivision "Prinz Eugen". Nord was a pure German division raised from SS-Totenkopf regiments, served in Finland & Northern Russia & the West, & was entitled to wear the SS runic collar patch. Prinz Eugen was a "volunteer" division raised to fight partisans in Yugoslavia, its personnel were mostly ethnic Germans & many of the officers & senior NCOs were former mountain troops of the Austro-Hungarian Army.
    Prinz Eugen was not entitled to wear the runic collar patch because of its ethnic composition, so wore the Odalrune instead. It's this patch the bust is displaying, hence my preference for that one.
    Cheers,
    Chris:)
  7. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Hi Chris,

Thanks for the lecture, much appreciated.

I suppose areas like collar patch are relatively easy to modify if one has a specific preference?

I myself have been meaning to modify this:
    http://www.young-miniatures.com/products/YM1809/YM1809-1.htm

I recently saw the film Defiance and this smock was worn by a Soviet officer. To convert this guy into a Soviet involves a new head gear and complete rework of the collar area, not just the patch. Ideally I want a bare head so no worries over head gear. And I know already that I will enjoy modifying the collar area!

Rgds
    Michael
  8. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Michael,
    Sorry, I didn't mean for it to sound like a lecture :eek:.
    Re: specific references for collar insignia, probably the easiest to find is Osprey Men-At-Arms "The Waffen-SS", either the original revised version by Martin Windrow or the 4-volume set by Gordon Williamson which covers all 38 divisions in detail.
    Cheers,
    Chris.
  9. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    No no no, Chris, I appreciated the lecture! Now I am sorry for the misunderstanding!

I love it when members share knowledge on historical facts. We should keep that coming. Not that I have anything to bring to the table though :p
  10. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hi,

in the first torso picture, the right collar patch is correct(y)
    The hat is incorrect, see this paint photo attached;) the hat must have the SS skull...

The first torso, tells me that the men is from 7th SS Freiwilligen-Gebirgs Division "Prinz Eugen" Balkans 1943:)

I wiil do that modification on my bust:)

Attached Files:

• ss.JPG
      ss.JPG
      File size:
      30.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Michael Tse Active Member

HongKong
    Thanks Pedro!

Easy modification.
  12. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks to Michael for this post & to Pedro & Chris for their contributions as well.

I only wanted to add that I am very happy to post worldwide.

This is an excellent range of figures that I hope will grow & grow....

Steve
    www.skminiatures.co.uk