1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gebirgsjäger Bust Young Miniatures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Tarracus, Sep 17, 2012.

1. lbfactory Well-Known Member

France
    Tarracus likes this.
  2. jimmyoc Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Take a bow, great stuff..
    Tarracus likes this.
  3. Tarracus A Fixture

Excuse me for my delay, Laurent (Iwas a bit lazy to looking for color codes last day:sleep: and answer properly)... I mainly use vallejo 70.815 basic skin tone and 70860 medium flesh, in both cases add a very small drop of flat red (Think these Vallejo's flesh tones are quite yellowish for my taste) for the basic layering. For darker zones I usually mix 70860 medium flesh with a bit of 70982Calvary brown. I do all this part of the process trying NOT to achieve the final amount of lighting/contrast. I do this on a second stage, painting with very diluted colours in Glaze medium. Is on this phase where I spend more time: contrasting and a doing lot of filtering. As these layers are almost transparent, I don't worry too much about exact colours, the important thing when filtering is always tend to cool or warm color tones when shadowing the colour below. Since this medium takes quite a time to dry, is enough to allow me softening the colours by blurring them with a clean brush.Well, that's the way I do it.
    All in all, in my opinion the point for achieving nice flesh tones is not an specific colour recipe, but variating with cool and warm tones when shadowing. I always have this book Color-Mixing-Recipes-Portraits-Combinations in handy. I've learned a lot from it!

I hope this helped a little..Cheers

Gerard
  4. LVM Active Member

Belgium
    Thank you very much Gerard !

It helps me ! I paint the skin tones with the same mixe for years now and I would like to change and precisely variating the cool and warm tones as you say. Thank you again !

Laurent
    Tarracus likes this.
  5. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    This guy looks great (y) ! The change you did on the goggles helped and the scarf lends a nice contrast to all the green tones. I reckon that's why we like modeling Krauts ( no offense to my German comrades ), they have all this cool looking gear :cool:!

Joe
    Tarracus likes this.
  6. Tarracus A Fixture

billyturnip likes this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    When I was in college I worked at a gun store. Many of our customers were these guys in the Luftwaffe stationed in nearby Fort Bliss. These dudes really fancied Colts and Winchesters. One Saturday as I was helping some of them pick out some goodies, the conversation would shift back and forth between American firearms ca. 1880's, and MG 42s and STG 44s etc. One of them says, '... well we like playing Cowboys and Indians and you guys like playing Nazis...' :angelic:

Joe
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    This is a cracker and so much extra detail has gone in to it , great painting on the flesh and I love the leather straps , the goggles are really well done .....

Can ask what colour mixes you used for the jacket .

Its a shame that the eidelweiss badges isn't showing with maybe the goggles around the neck ...perhaps a badge incorporated into the basework ?

Like the neck scarf as well .

Thanks very much for sharing

Nap
    Tarracus likes this.
  9. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gerard,
    Great work on the modifications, really enhances the bust. Fantastic work on the painting - love what you have achieved, you should be very proud of your achievements.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
    Tarracus likes this.
  10. Tarracus A Fixture

Thanks Nap. Good point about the edelweiss badge. I think I'll get one for the base(y)

Gerard
  11. Tarracus A Fixture

Hi to all!
    After a long break on this bust, I can say It's finished now!
    I must say I've enjoyed a lot with this project. Hope you like it!:)

Gerard

geb1.jpg geb2.jpg geb3.jpg geb4.jpg
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gerard,
    One word - MAGNIFICENT(y)
    cheers
    Richie
    Tarracus likes this.
  13. Heeresbergführer Active Member

United-States
    Servus Gerard,

What a magnificent figure and presentation! My only critique is that the metal Edelweiss cap badge that you used on the base is a present day German Bundeswehr type and not a World War II type. The wartime Edelweiss has a straight stem and the upper leaf touches the first peddle.

[IMG]

Es war ein Edelweiss,

Patrick
    Tarracus likes this.
  14. Tarracus A Fixture

Ooops..:facepalm: ok I'll pretend not to have seen this photo :D
    Thanks anyway
  15. Heeresbergführer Active Member

United-States
    Tarracus likes this.
  16. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don Corleone !!is that the guy who won Best of show at Sicily show :D

Kidding aside that is very nice Gerard

Ron
    Tarracus likes this.
  17. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Brilliant work Gerard!

That turned out superb.

(y)

Edit- I've just had another look at the pics Gerard, and I am even more impressed the more I look at it, absolutetly beautiful work, really nice!

Cheer's,
    Jeff.
    Tarracus likes this.
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Excellent Gerard, I really like your fleshtones, only spoilt by putting the wrong edelweiss badge on the base. :D:D:D (Well spotted Patrick, you certainly know your Gebirgsjager stuff..)

Roger.
    Tarracus likes this.
  19. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Awesome work !!! :)
    Tarracus likes this.
  20. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Well done on both the modification and painting(y)
    Tarracus likes this.