1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Gauis Julius Caesar Bust (WIP)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DancingShaman, Oct 17, 2015.

1. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    You are already familiar with the bust. No need for an intro. This is my 3rd figure so it will be quite challenging.

I will use Game Color Gory Red for the cape and then use matt varnish as it is a bit glossy. Hope to end up with sth accurate.

Will keep posted.

Cheers,
    Osman

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445086611.916885.jpg
  2. swralph A Fixture

3. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Game Color Gory Red turns out to be a great choice for the cape. I am having hard time to come up with the color for the leather on the arm. Suggestions would be most welcome.

Osman
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1445092809.279852.jpg
    ATTİLA the HUN and Bootneck like this.
  4. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Have this bust on my work bench at the moment. Will be a present to my son,Ceaser is one of his Heros.

I personally would add more red to the brown & maybe use a dark brown for shading. Hope this helps & following with interest.

Peter.
  5. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Thanks for the tip Peter. Will give it a try and share the outcome.

Osman
    Bootneck likes this.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    The best shading for Red is Green.
    For the deepest shades use a very dark brown with a reddisch in it like sepia.

Marc
  7. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Osman Good chosen bust. I'll be follow your WİP.

Kolay gelsin...:rolleyes:
  8. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    thank you Marc. Is this purely coming from experience or is there any color chart for this that I can utilize? Regardless, thank you for your hint as I am sure it will come handy given that there is a lot of red on this one.

Tesekkur ederim. Will keep posted.
  9. Bootneck Well-Known Member

10. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Don't know what went wrong with post but my reply mixed with quote. Hope it helps.
    Peter.
  11. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Thank you Peter. Will look it up.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Good to see you painting Osman! Excellent choice of bust, although in my opinion large scale busts are not the easiest to start with painting.

For the cloak, green is recommended in line with colour theory: you can shade (or 'grey') a colour with its complement, but make sure you pick a dark green.
    However, dark browns also work very well on red. Main challenge for red is highlighting. Use too much white and highlights will be pink. Use yellow and they may be too orange.
    What I like to do is start with a relative dark, shaded red as the basecoat. For highlights use the pure red, with just a few extreme highlights using red plus a touch of flesh colour.

Good luck with this challenging bust!

Cheers
    Adrian
    Scotty and Bootneck like this.
  13. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Adrian, you are absolutely right with the bust not being the best type to start with. To me face will be the most challenging part. Not to mention the bar that is set by the fellow mates here, again not that I will come even closer to that.

I will most definitely try your highlighting tips. Thank you for solid advices Adrian.

Will share the outcome for sure.

Osman
  14. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Caesar shaping up. Any thoughts and feedback would be more than appreciated.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448289076.388917.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448289091.573055.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448289105.273769.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1448289133.460569.jpg
    Bootneck likes this.
  15. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Osman.
    This is looking good & you are making a fine start. I would be inclined to apply a dark brown wash (Burnt Umber) over the armour to kill the stark gold colour also try this on the gold fringes of the leather shoulder decoration. This will help show off the detail. I am currently painting this bust also and I have picked out lightly the armour decoration in silver.

I will try to post in WIP tomorrow so you can see what I mean although I don't count myself as an expert.

Keep at it as it is all about what you enjoy. Looking forward to seeing your finished figure.

Peter.
  16. DancingShaman Active Member

Turkey
    Hi Peter,

Thanks a lot for the comment. You are definitely right about the armor being super shiny. Do you think that leather brown (Vallejo) would work as a wash?

Looking forward to seeing your wip man.

Thanks a lot for the tip. Let me try it and I will share the outcome.

Cheers
    Osman
  17. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Hi Osman.
    I have just take some rather poor pictures of my version. I think Velleo washes would work. I paint in oils. Hope my pictures help.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

I am painting the cloak in royal purple which is only under coated in Vallejo at the moment.
    I find my photos do not always bring out the best.

Peter.
    Scotty likes this.
  18. Bootneck Well-Known Member

Osman.
    Thinking about it my granddaughter paints games workshop figures & I have been impressed with their washes. Axrak Earth shade & others they really suit acrylic paints. Not good on oils though as they are water based.

Pigments are a bit finer than paints.

Any questions just ask.
    Cheers.
    Peter.
  19. SERHAN OFLAS Active Member

Turkey
    Hello Osman,

For the leather parts ; I would have chance to watch Painting Buddha's videos. You also might have been watched stuff but in video, Ben Komets finished leather parts of Shield Maiden which is another Nuts Planet figure with washes only. Sure the surface shape will be different here on Ceasar but it will worth to try. He used only brown wash over primer repeatedly by avoiding grouping paint ( small pools). Please check the video in their channel in youtube if you could not yet. I was very astonished when he did not used base color for this case.

I will follow your build,

Serhan-