1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Garibaldi bust (sculpt)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by falela, Feb 1, 2009.

1. falela Member

HongKong
    Hi, after reading many wonderful bust sculpt SBS/WIP, I finally took the plunge and try my hand on sculpting a bust. The bust itself is based on Garibaldi, done in MS. I don't know what scale this is in, as I was just
    concentrating on getting the face right. When I finally did measure, the length from eye to chin is around 11mm. I don't know when I will finish the piece, as I only work on it on and off, and with my rather limited attention span, hopefully by the end of this year :)
    Here are the 1st set of photo I took a while ago
    wip1.JPG
    wip2.JPG
    wip3.JPG

And here are the latest update (buff up the sides, finish up the month, add some beard and the right ear)
    wip4.JPG
    wip5.JPG
    wip6.JPG

- As I am going to add a hat later, the length from eye to top of head is a little bit off right now.
    - I find the forehead too smooth, will probably add some wrinkle later.
    - I do not like how the beard turns out. I will probably redo it, with some duro added to the MS.
    - I don't know if this is normal for you guys, but I always end up doing some dry sculpt (carving/sanding) at the end.
    Now, post any C&C as you please, I would like to know what you think/what you like/what you don't like/any technique you recommend, etc. I have a pretty thick skin :D

cheers,
    Leuk
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Beard and "stache" look great so far.

Jay H.
    OKc
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    G'day Leuk,

Well done on starting this ambitious project. You've made an excellent start and already the face is coming together nicely. Don't worry about technique. Everyone has a slightly different way of doing it, and you will find that what's important is what works for you. Keep up the good work.
  4. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Leuk. I like what you have done so far, the eyes, nose and beard look as though they have some great detail on them. Keep it up as it looks like it will come out great.
    Ben
  5. falela Member

HongKong
    Thank you for your comment, finally did some works on the sculpt last week.

I tried to sculpt the beard, failed miserably due to the lack of a rigid support underneath. At the end I just simply smeared the putty onto the sides of the face, roughly resembling beard shape. This should give me a platform later on when I retry the part again.
    In the mean time, I bulked up the body. The different color putty is some left over Tamiya Epoxy Putty that I have no use of. Btw, really foul stuff, but perfect for this application.
    wip5.jpg

Add the first layer of clothes, front and back. I was not really worrying about the fold/wrinkle at this point. Those will be dealt with at later stage.
    wip6.jpg

On hindsight, I should have bulk up the head & body with something cheaper. I mixed a rather large amount of MS to build up that upper part of the body alone. :(

Leuk
  6. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    looking good so far.

One thing to help pad out a figure (underneath) is aluminium foil, scrunched up in a ball.
    this offers support of layers of putty, and because it is full of folds, has some texture for putty to grab.

And it wont collapse like some other materials will either.

Still, progressing really well!

every piece is a learning experience.

Cheers
  7. falela Member

HongKong
    Ah, thanks for the tip, Jamie.
  8. falela Member

HongKong
    I added some more details to the front.

wip7.jpg

I did these in 3 nights: the collar in one, the hanging coat in the 2nd and the front wrinkles/folds in the 3rd night. I only work on a small part each time, and call it a day, letting the putty cure on its own, so progress is really slow. I should really buy an extra desk lamp to speed up the curing.

Leuk