1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Garde Mobile 1870

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Feb 23, 2004.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi All,

Here's some SBS on a two figure vignette I'm working on.

It was inspired by a painting by Alphonse de Neuville. It will include the two subjects on the left of painting.

Thanks for looking

Jason

Attached Files:

2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    The armature is made with paperclip wire. Head is from Hornet. The resin torso is my own castings and the shoe armature is from plastic card.

All parts are glued together w/ 5 minute epoxy and let to cure over night.

Attached Files:

3. Patrick Kirk New Member

Jason,
    Wow...what passion in that vignette...can't wait to see it come to life...I'll definately be checkin back on this thread... (y)
    All the best, and what great inspiration

Patrick
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Both legs are fleshed out and let to cure. I usually put the figure in a box lined w/ aluminum foil with a hole cut off the top. Then a lamp w/ a 60 watt bulp is placed over the hole. I let the figure sit in there for about 20 minutes. Then the figure is taken out and let to cool for 10 minutes. The reason for that, is the putty is still somewhat soft, but after being cooled down will turn rock hard.

Then I start on one leg and folds worked in. The process of baking is done again.

I prefer to work from the bottom up. This helps me in layering the clothing. It also helps support the armature and keeps it from "knocking" the armature out of pose once I start pushing putty at the top of the figure.

Attached Files:

5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Patrick! :)

Yes, it's a very "moving" scene. It will also be a challenge. I have never built figures connected together before.
  6. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Rear view of legs. Note the "scoring" of fleshed out leg. I USED to apply the putty straight to the leg w/ a small dab of super glue, but the scoring is MUCH quicker. I think it gives the putty more bite and I dont' have to drop my sculpting tool to pick up a toothpick to apply a little dab of super glue.

Attached Files:

7. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Trousers and gaiters complete.

Attached Files:

8. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Close-up of gaiters. Note the laces.

Attached Files:

9. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Nice work Jason. I like the closeup on the gaiters.
  10. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Putty is applied for the service jacket. Most of the jacket will be covered by a sheep skin jerkin, so there is no need to sculpt the entire thing.

Once the putty is applied I let it set for about 20 minutes to cure. Then w/ an Exacto knife I cut the access to give it a clean edge.

I bake it for 20 minutes and then begin sculpting the bottom of jerkin.

Attached Files:

11. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Folds are worked into the bottom part of jerkin and an impression is made for the sheep wool lining at bottom edge.

Attached Files:

12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    I textured the sheep wool lining.

Attached Files:

13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, I cannot wait to sit down and talk about this stuff at the show. The rate at which you work is amazing. You seem to have a very sound system for doing this stuff, not to mention an ability to budget your time. I love that painting, you have to do the mounted guy, make it a three figure vignette. Fantastic stuff my friend.~Gary (y) (y) (y) (y)
  14. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Upper part of jerkin is sculpted. A rifle is pressed into the soft putty to insure a nice fit later ( this process w/ the rifle will be repeated a few times).

Attached Files:

15. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Note where I made impressions for canteen strap, rifle sling, cartridge box and bayonet frog.

I also began sculpting the folds in the jerkin.

Attached Files:

16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Rear view of impressions.

Attached Files:

17. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool! (y)

Interesting, i do the straps and accessories in place first and then pucker-n-tuck in the garments afterwards...
  18. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Rear view overall.

Attached Files:

19. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Front view overall.

Attached Files:

20. Patrick Kirk New Member

Jason,
    This is simply amazing...
    Thanks for sharing; eagerily waitin' for more!
    (y)
    All the best

Patrick