1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Garde Francaise Grenadier, 1789

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MarquisMini, Aug 19, 2013.

1. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I basecoated this guy before I went to work, and almost finished the coat tonight, just need to re-touch some areas but virtually done.
    For the base I chose a very dark blue, many sources refer to their coats as "Bleu du roi" , but many sources show a much darker blue and I think I like the darker version of it.
    Of course I try to be historically accurate as possible, but sometimes this is a matter of a debate always, how we see or interpret colors, I've seen this debate on the forum over and over and I always come to the conclusion that if I paint it on a figure and it makes me believe is correct, then I go for it, but always will take criticism with good heart cause that is what make us become better and better.
    cheers
    DSC04075.JPG DSC04076.JPG DSC04077.JPG DSC04078.JPG DSC04079.JPG
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I'd say this blue is just about spot on! Almost black in the deep folds with a hint of the blue at the highest highlight. Nice work!

Colin
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Daniel,
    Billiant conversion My Friend, your matching and shaving of parts has worked very well on this figure.
    Like Colin I really like the blue coat, it is a pet hate of mine when I see this blue painted as a very pale blue. Your blue/black is right on the money.
    Looking forward to your painting of the miles of white lace on this little fellow.
    Good work and best regards,
    Keith
  4. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Thanks colin, it is always a challenge to try to portray a color spot on, and doesn't help my lamp broke so i am using other lighting alternatives :depressed:
  6. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    thanks for your kind words my friend, what i am not looking forward to paint is the white lace, i know is going to be a pain but it has to be done.
    I am thinking of use silver grey as a base, then add pure white on the edges, we'll see.
    Thanks por passing by.
    Cheers
    Don Johnson and Wings5797 like this.
  7. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice blue, indeed! Like the posture too! Following with great interest!
    Cheers!
    Zeno
    MarquisMini likes this.
  9. Don Johnson Active Member

United-States
    Daniel, yes the lace is a pain, but I think you're on the right track with your silver grey comment. I have done this on other figures - start with a charcoal grey, then a mid grey on all but the deep recesses, then a light grey for highlights - and the result is "white" . . . or at least it "looks" white, which is the goal, after all! Actual white is going to be too much, I'm thinking, especially against the blue and red (which you'll have to tone down a bit, also). I also like what you've done with the blue coat. A minimal shade lighter only on the highest spots - left breast and top of sleeve, both forearms, up by the collar on the back, and maybe the deep fold above the button on the back. But you've probably already done this by now, and it probably looks super!
    I also like your comments in answer to the question someone asked about abandoning your "big project". I think these single figures and vignettes will actually allow you to finish and display more figures, and tell better stories in the process. Your art will improve quicker, you'll have the satisfaction of completing things and filling up a display shelf or case, and we'll have the opportunity to savor each piece as you finish it. And, as I've commented before, the scenes with the 40mm figures still give you the thrill of being DeMille or Speilberg, just on a more realistic (and achievable) stage! As always, Don
    MarquisMini and Wings5797 like this.
  10. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    thanks my friend, I always like to at least resemble some of the poses you see in old prints , which I find very nice especially when you display a single figure.
    Best regards
    tiberius57 likes this.
  11. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello Don, I like your advice on the lace, I think it will be very effective and easier that way.
    I've also went and fix some of the areas and lighted up , I took some pics but the lighting arrangement I have does not justice to what the areas look like, anyhow, I really appreciate your advice and 4 eyes works better than two.
    Best regards
  12. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello folks, made a little bit more progress on this chap.
    Finished the back of the fur hat, finished the face, just minor details to be touch up, added some extra lights on some of the areas (thanks Don !) ,finish the plume and tassels, added some lights to the red vest, cuffs and turn down collar.
    Still lots of work ahead, next step will be the fur hat, finish the vest and start the lace :blackeye:
    DSC04080.JPG DSC04081.JPG DSC04082.JPG DSC04083.JPG
    ChaosCossack and Don Johnson like this.
  13. Braemp Active Member

Well done, Daniel. The face looks very good and I really like the big cross on the hat. Keep them coming.

Cheers Lars
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Looking good so far Daniel and enjoying watching someone else paint all that white lace on a grenadier ;).

Roger.
  15. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    delicious Daniel
  16. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hello Lars and thank you for passing by :happy:, I am really happy on how the cross look on the back, I mixed some silver grey and added white which makes it stand out.
    Best regards
  17. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Hey Roger, the white lice is going to be a pain, I can feel it, but when is all finished it's going to look really nice I think.
    Cheers
  18. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Grazie amici, all the best.
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    I did some work on sunday, the figure actually fell to the floor and only the head got separated form the body, no parts chipped or any damage, so after that accident I decided to try putting the face looking the other way, and I really like that position, so I finished his neck, neck tie, bear fur hat, turn down collar and basecoated the laces with neutral grey plus a little bit of silver, which make an interesting shade of color.
    I am having a lot of fun painting this figure and planning to get a nice base for it.
    I saw one that is a balustrade and may fit the figure well since the guards wore at the palace and outside of it, so it will be a nice addition.
    Best regards
    DSC04085.JPG DSC04086.JPG DSC04087.JPG DSC04088.JPG DSC04089.JPG
  20. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    (y) The angle of his head really works well Daniel, a fortunate accident!

Roger.