1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Garde du Corps flat

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jun 1, 2009.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This is what I am working on at the moment,I have three large scale figs of German cavalrymen c.1900. The rider & mount measure approx 120mm from hooves to top of helmet.

Hopefully in the pics you can see the clever way each fig. can be mounted on a differently posed mount.... very clever.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

I have started with a Officer of the Garde du Corps, not much done yet but you get the idea, as usual in acrylics.

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Roger.
  2. Ray Active Member

United-States
    Roger,
    Very nice. The bit for swapping riders between mounts is creative and, clever as you say. What do you use as an armature, or do you simply make the whole from scratch with no armature? Flats seem a very different kind of discipline than figures in the round, maybe even more difficult with the requirement of representing detail on such a shallow plan, interesting.

An SBS wouldn't be taken amiss by more than myself I'd bet.
    (hint)

Thanks for posting,

Ray
  3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Roger,
    very nice so far. Very clever to have separate cast riders, as this allows for greater flexibility with riders and mounts.

Good start with face and helmet so far
    Thanks for sharing

Ray, having done a flat, while still crude. has been instructive; in my interpretation, only so much detail has to be sculpted, some has to be implied, and some is straight up to paint effects.

Still, good to see this kind of thing still about

Cheers
  4. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hello Ray, I can't take any credit for the design or engraving. The were purchased for me in Germany from HISTORIA Lindenstr. 39 D-40789 Monheim by my good friend and Pf member Ulrich Biroth. I'm just the painter.

I'll be taking more pics during the painting process though. Thanks for your interest.

Roger.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks Jamie. Still work to do on the helmet but I'm quite pleased with the results so far. :)

Roger.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Good work so far Roger,
    As i said before, you are absolutely on your best with flat figures.

Marc
  7. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    A very fantastic work!
    I don't have the experience by which a flat figure was painted.
    So I'm looking forward to progress of your future very much.

Mitsutaka
  8. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marc & Mitsutaka :)

Roger.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Progress so far;

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Roger.
  10. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Youre only getting better, Roger!
    Like the mane of the horse.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Janne, it's proving to be much more difficult than the 30mm flat horses I've painted recently.

Roger.
  12. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Roger,

You're the master of two and a half dimensions. Great painting. Looking forward to seeing more progress pics.
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Tony. Painting is slow at the moment I've been home from sea a week now but the weather is too nice to stay in and paint.... I've even had to put beer in the fridge...:p

Roger.
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Looking grand!! You really do have the knack with flats, mate!

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work sofar Roger!
    I would prefer a bit more contrast on the hairs (tale and mane).
    Looking forward to your next update.

Marcel.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Dan, I've located some very nice WWI flats, for example a German MG team. I really need to finish the ones I've got before purchasing any more though :D

Roger.
  17. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Marcel, I thought the same thing, so funnily enough I've been working on the tail and mane this morning. I've also got to work on the hooves and other bits and pieces too before the horse is completed. Thanks for looking and if you spot anything else you think needs attention let me know... cheers,
    Roger.
  18. eissteban Active Member

France
    you find your way little padayan :D

:eek: excellent Roger, definitively your work on these flats are better each time

i'm very impressive BRAVO mon ami "Roger the flatman"

Seb.
  19. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Seb, more pics soon!!

Roger.
  20. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Roger. only a little hint "I will visit the best show for flats in August in Kulmbach"

So if you want more flats no problem. And everything else is said. You are a flat painter with your own style

Ulrich