1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gandalf, 70mm Knight Nodels

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

I haven't posted any WIP pics yet but I've been busy working on Gandalf lately.

A great study in shades of grey. By far my favourite character from the LOTR/ Hobbit books and movies. A great likeness of Sir Ian McKellan in the role of Gandalf the wizard.

Still lots to do on the face, eyes and left hand and staff. I'm still base coating some areas and working on shading and highlights in others.

Hope you like. As always comments/ criticism welcome.

Attached Files:

sarouman, NickM, Mike Stevens and 7 others like this.
  2. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Looks to be coming along nicely
  3. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Excellent work on the grey robe!!! Despite the photo quality is visible that it is very well done... seems like it has that weathering and worned out look that you see in the movie. In the HD LOTR movies you can really see that look...

Regards
    Pedro
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent texture on the robe Tony.
    Looking good,
    Carl.(y)
  5. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Nice black colour Tony!

Pedro.
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    looking very promising Tony.

Marc
  7. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Now I know why you have been quiet lately!!!!!!!, Nice work so far, the face is very much like Sir Ian.
    Ben
  8. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks everyone. I haven't been doing much painting lately thanks to the endless orgy of sport on TV (Tour de France followed by Olympics) but hopefully now I can get back in the hobby room and finish Gandalf. I appreciate your comments gents, thanks.
  9. Mariner Active Member

Canada
    This one's going to be wonderful when you're done, Tony(y)

Mary
  10. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Looking good so far Tony , but I would push the highlights a bit more on the greys.

Cheers David
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice work so far!!!
  12. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks top be coming along nicely Tony.
  13. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Geez you've been busy, Tony! It's come a long way since I saw it at the club - it's only been a week and a half! :)
    Agree with you about Gandalf being the best character too, closely followed by Strider for me.
    Lovely job as always, mate
  14. loosehead Active Member

Australia
    Bro ,
    Very nice, take it you have brought a new LOTR 's box set since starting on this adventure as the other one will have been watched to death, look forward to see the rest of your LOTR's crew too.............
    Catch you soon bro
    Chris
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys, thanks to everyone for your comments & compliments.

Here are the final pics of Gandalf. Time to move on now and tackle Elrond.

Attached Files:

NickM likes this.
  16. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Nice one Tony, you are ripping through this LOTR range. He has come up a treat
    Ben
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Cheers Ben,

These Knight Models figures are really good likenesses of the characters and so easy to put together. Can't wait to see which character they do next!
  18. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Be nice to see some of the main hobbit characters. Being halflings, I'd hope they'd be half the price too ;)
    Amazing job Tony, and as always I'm in awe of how you turn out a figure so quickly and of such a high standard.
  19. FigureLover A Fixture

Australia
    Depends on how they do them, in the Star Wars range, they still do the smaller characters(Yoda and Ewoks) still at 70mm, making them incompatable with the rest of the range.
    Ben
  20. Mark S Guest

Nice work Tony, looking forward to seeing the next character.