1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Gaius Julius Caesar 1/10 bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by storm_zh, Aug 23, 2015.

1. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Hi stoffy01, I usually use acrylics paint, mostly from Vallejo and Scale75 but also a few from Andrea. I am not good at using oil paint and have also been trying to learn it from messages posted by some "oil paint masters" here on this forum. You know, acrylics and oil paint have their own advantages and sometimes it would be much easier to achieve certain effect by taking such advantages.
  2. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I agree, certainly inspiring stuff. I'll be happily watching the work as it progresses along.
    Best Regards
    Chris.
    storm_zh likes this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Wow. Best version of this bust I've seen
    storm_zh likes this.
  4. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    Beautiful brush work ,congratulations
    Cheers
    Al
    storm_zh likes this.
  5. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I am sure this figure will be a best seller thanks to the efforts of painters like yourself,well done./badger
    storm_zh likes this.
  6. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Think this has to be one of the best pained faces I have seen , exceptional work.

Cheers David
    storm_zh likes this.
  7. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Many thanks to everyone who has taken time to comment. Much appreciated again!
  8. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Yeah, he is alive.!!! Can you speak with him? :ROFLMAO:
    Enormous work folk. The face is incredible, very very real the colour, the efects of beard shade, wrinkles and tones. Reflexive expresion wiht eye watching to the horizont. Love it.
    The cape in blue is different, and the texturization very good. If this is no perfect, is very near to be.
    storm_zh likes this.
  9. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow, just wow!
    storm_zh likes this.
  10. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I think the work on the beard shadow is amazing and would love to know how you achieved it in such detail.
    storm_zh likes this.
  11. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Thank you for your kind words. Actually, I have only painted the face and chest armor in the picture in my first post. The cape and other parts are only at the stage of having primer sprayed (black and then white for doing sort of some pre-shading work). I will continue to paint the cap (which will be red fabrics), shoulder stripes (dark brown leather and golden brown tassels underneath) and stripe on the waist (white fabrics) when having time. Thanks again.
  12. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Sorry for not responding to your question earlier. I somehow missed the new message notification on that. To paint the beard shadow, I first dabbed many very small dots of a few different shades using the tip of my brush and then did some glazing over that area a few times as needed. As for the colors involved, they can be dark brown, black brown, olive drab, english uniforms or anyone of them mixed with the dark flesh tones there. Hope this helps and has answered your question:)
  13. baronband Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom

Great stuff Jason, thanks. That bust is quite the inspiration.

John
    storm_zh likes this.
  14. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Super nice! That's one to be happy with!
    storm_zh likes this.
  15. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Thank you Mike for your kind words.
  16. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Breathtaking, Got to be one of the most outstanding paint jobs on any bust (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    storm_zh likes this.
  17. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
    Thank you, Derek!
  18. storm_zh Well-Known Member

China
  19. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    speachless, wish to see more steps.