1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique From the crowded bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by akaryu, Sep 2, 2020.

1. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    While cossacks, soviet marshals and the like are patiently waiting to get some more paint, I took a break with this young lady, FeR's anarquista bust, a small tribute to the memory of an important ancestor.

P1000924.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    MCPWilk, Mike Stevens, Oda and 10 others like this.
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    I always liked this particular FeR bust since I first saw it Pierre, because it's a very striking piece & the Spanish Civil War is an uncharted territory for many manufacturers, & you're making a great job of it so far. Outstanding paintwork!
    Babelfish and akaryu like this.
  3. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Great to see this being painted ...do like the fleshwork on her ....Oils of course ! ....very nice tones

Look forward to seeing more on this specially what you do with the shawl she wears

Nice tribute to your ancestor as well

Happy benchtime

Nap

PS I see a marshal in the background .....and the Verlinden peeking from the left ...all keeping her company
    akaryu likes this.
  4. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    Hi Nap & Chris

Thanks for the comments. This bust is a welcome break from the rigors of delving into the intricacies of Russian uniform and medals.

And oh yes, the shawl! I have a plan, it's keeping me awake at night!

Cheers,

Pierre
    Chris Oldfield and Nap like this.
  5. eddie_C96 Member

6. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    Thank you, Andrei

As for the gorro, many differences were possible, as long as the colors red & black were present. Remember, they were anarchists, abhorring any kind of strict uniformity.

45hoqx67leky.jpg s-l1000.jpg download (2).jpeg

BTW this bust is a very personal affair for me, because our maternal grandmother as a young widow fought in the Spanish Civil War in the ranks of the CNT.
    Later she fled with her young children to Belgium where she remarried and became a caring and loving grandmother to us, abuela María, a very strong willed, stubborn and outspoken woman.

Sorry for getting personal,

Pierre
  7. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nicely painted Pierre! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    akaryu likes this.
  8. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    After some almost sleepless nights, being haunted by floral patterns and flamenco shawls, I decided to be realistic and go for a more down to earth approach with this bust.

The main reasons being that:
    a. even the most fanatic anarquista would not go to battle draped in her finest embroidered shawl
    b. even more important, I'm no Zernina or Kanaev and a realistic assessment of my own painting skills was in order

Anyway, this is were we are at the moment:

P1000927.jpg P1000928.jpg P1000929.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    KenBoyle, NeilW, Martin64 and 2 others like this.
  9. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

There's nothing wrong with that shawl , nice work on the edging lines

Never really thought about this bust but it's certainly nice

Thanks for the updates

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and akaryu like this.
  10. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    Some progress on the Miliciana bust, still some interesting work to do: further detailing jacket and belts, keeping rifle and headgear till the last.

P1000935.jpg P1000936.jpg P1000938.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    KenBoyle, NeilW, Nap and 2 others like this.
  11. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Pierre

Really coming together now ...and a pretty face on the sculpt as well ...nicely painted

Look forward to more on this lady

Happy benchtime

Nap
    akaryu likes this.
  12. NeilW A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Fantastic that this is so personal to you and your family... and I see that the CNT still exists: https://www.cnt.es/

CNT1.JPG CNT2.JPG
    akaryu and Nap like this.
  13. akaryu A Fixture

Belgium
    I think I'll consider this bust done!

P1000939.jpg P1000940.jpg

Thanks for looking,

Pierre
    Old Pete, valiant and NeilW like this.
  14. Dr Bison Active Member

Germany
    Wonderful work Pierre, and a deserving memorial to your grandmother and all the Spanish anarchists who valiantly stood up to the fascists (and Stalin).

Karl
    akaryu likes this.