1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

From a new guy

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by SRP, Oct 18, 2010.

1. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Bust in oil and acrylic....mainly acrylic. All comments welcome.

Attached Files:

Centaur, mil-mart, kiwi45 and 13 others like this.
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Very well done and appealing interpretation. Something muted about the colors gives it the impression it is a color tinted black and white photo very appropriate for the period.
    gordy likes this.
  3. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Bob...you're right..I think this period does need softer colors..
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Awesome work.
    Tell me more about the facecolors.

marc
  5. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Well put, and true.(y) Lovely job.
    Carl.
  6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Steven! I'm with Bob, the subtle palette really works with this piece!

Jay H.
  7. kaz6120 A Fixture

Japan
    Great masterpiece. I like everything you've done on this figure. Especially I like every aspect of the figure is painted as it should be, I mean, Helmet looks like metal, skin looks like real dirty skin, belts look like real leathers. I want to know how did you do it. It's really inspiring and great work.
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice, you've captured a forlorn expression well in paint, excellent eyes (y)
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    I agree Gordy. The eyes have a haunted look about them, something you'd expect from a young man who has seen too much. My compliments to you Steven. Excellent painting.
  10. oniria A Fixture

Spain
    Love it.
    It's gloomy, depressing, and reminds you a real person. I don't know if the painting technique is good or not, but I'm really in awe. This is a clear example that shows a that there is still a lot of things to discover and try in this hobby.

Congratulaitons m8
    Edit: Just check you'r gallery..no comment. I've droolled over my keyboard and it doesn't seem to work correctly.

A true master...
    gordy likes this.
  11. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks everyone for your kind comments..much appreciated. The face was painted to a certain degree in acrylic...then I used a few dry glazes of oils to gradually color and add the tones. Hope this helps...and please ask if I can be of any more help as this is what we are all here for..SRP. I will post a few more pics shortly. Thank you.
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Grand! This is a wonderful interpretation! Who makes this bust?

All the best,
    Dan
  13. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Really love the way you painted this bust
  14. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    The colors are excellent although I have to admit I don't understand the idea of a dry glaze with oils... if you could expound a bit more I'd sure appreciate it.

The thousand yard stare is the icing on the cake on this one! Great painting coupled with "the stare"...VERY nice!

kevin d.
  15. SRP Active Member

United-Kingdom
    This bust is one from the great range from Youngs miniatures.
    The dry glaze...what I call it...is painting the face to a nearly finished standard with acrylics...with basic shadows and highlights..then using oils sparingly..and NOT thinned..put a little shade mix in the shadow areas and gently fade in with a dry brush or two. Because your undercoat is dry acrylic..the oil does not muddy the flesh color..and you are in control more of the blending. This works with oil highlights as well. If you paint ALL the flesh in oils..then blend shades and highs...you can lose control and 'muddy' the colors.
    When 'working your shading...use a slightly stiffer brush to 'fade it' into the acrylic flesh. Oil works well when you keep brushing at it...as it warms up and becomes more workable.
    To practice..paint something with acrylic flesh...then put on a VERY small neat dab of ..say...darkish red...then slowly work it around with a stiffish brush..and you are in control..keep changing your brush to fade the color. you are not really blending because it is wet on dry...but it will fade to give a similar result.
    Hope you understand all that...I think I did....!!! It is one of those things that is easier to show than to describe ...!!!!
  16. Ferris A Fixture

Great work!
    And interesting technique you describe; a combo of acrylics and oil.... Will try that some time!

Cheers,
    Adrian