1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Frodo and Gandalf

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by balder, Apr 17, 2013.

1. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi fellow planeteers, I wanted to show my new project (yeah still haven't finished my old projects but that's how it goes). I have been working on this for over a month off and on but didn't take any pictures until now. This is based on the movie where Frodo meets Gandalf who is arriving with his cart of fireworks for Bilbo's big party.
    IMG_3231.JPG

More pictures to come, Gerald
    Kisifer, mao, Ray and 3 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    That looks interesting (y)

Steve
  3. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    I started with a 120mm mannequin for Gandalf and 75 mm for Frodo both from Lost Battallion. Gandalf's robes are napkin folded in place to what looks natural to me and hardened with ca glue. Belts and straps are masking tape.
    IMG_3227.JPG

The horse is a Schleich pony that seemed the right size and pose. The harness is made of doubled over masking tape cut to size and buckled together. The harness isn't finished yet. I'm going to paint the horse to look more like the one in the movie.
    IMG_3228.JPG

For the cart I scaled up a Games Workshop miniature for starting dimensions then tinkered from there until it looked right. Here are the pieces apart :
    IMG_3229.JPG
    (whoops, missing the bench)

I started making fireworks to load in the back
    IMG_3232.JPG

I am having a blast with this project but need a few opinions:
    -I initially was going to stain the cart but I am now thinking painting would be a better idea since it will give me more control over the colour and shadows, etc.
    -Second, the base (in my initial photo) just seems enormous to me. It's about 11 inches by 9. I'm not sure if I should chop off the front part of the base and bring it up close to the wheel. The base is foam and easy to cut. I want to experiment a bit with long grass and a bush/tree of some type in the back and need a little room for that.

Sorry for being so long-winded. Any comments and opinions are welcone,
    Gerald
    NickM, Jeff and Aveleira like this.
  4. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gerald,
    Super project and if it's anything like the other then :woot:. I think you are right about painting rather than staining the cart, if you go wrong with the stain then it's hard work to rectify. You might even destroy the overall look. As for the base it's hard to tell from that angle a photo head on would be good.
    Nice tip about the cloth, what is the ca glue?
    cheers
    Richie
    balder likes this.
  5. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    CA is 'super glue' Richie (cyanoacrylate). Great scene in the making Gerald. Definitely paint and not stain.

Cheers

Ron
    balder likes this.
  6. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ron,
    Thanks, I thought for a minute it was a trade secret not to be shared with chimps:)
    cheers
    Richie
    Wings5797 and Gaudin like this.
  7. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Looks great so far!! Following with interest!!

Regards
    Pedro
    balder likes this.
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting subject and great work so far.
    Looking forward to the progress of this project

Colin
    balder likes this.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I like the techniques that you have shared with us almost as much as I like the piece it's self.
    For the cart; painting would be my chosen method. Staining is totally out of your control.
    As you say it must be a blast working on this piece......especially with all of those fireworks.
    Great work Gerald.
    heers,
    Keith
    balder likes this.
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Love this one, good luck with it!
  11. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    This snowfall scene believed to be among the best in project start.
    It first contact with Gandalf and Frodo at least in the film.
    I expect to see and continuity of this vignetting.

Alexandros
  12. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    A great start and I hope you will finished it soon. Ant I think a photo from the front would be helpful for your question about the seize of the base.
  13. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hi! Here are some pics of the base from the side and from above:
    IMG_3237.JPG IMG_3238.JPG
    So, back to my question about making the base a little more compact, I am thinking i could chop off about 2 inches of width behing Frodo (left side of base in above shot). I could also chop off the right side a bit.
    Again any opinions appreciated.
    Thanks, Gerald
  14. Don Well-Known Member

Gerald I think the base just looks perfect as it is, why cut down a nice base and what would you gain from it. Looks pretty good and gives Frodo plenty of room for whatever he wants to do next and Gandolf room for his "magic"explosions.
    About the cart, was used to them in my younger days and all the carts were painted, even the honey cart. Dont recall ever seeing a wood stained one.
    Look forward to seeing more.

Don
  15. balder PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Hello Planeteers! I decided to leave the base the size it is and went to town on the groundwork:
    IMG_3266.JPG

The grass is unravelled sisal garden twine coloured with thinned down green and brown paint. I still need to paint the "flowers" more especially the ones on the upper part. The flowers are some kind of dried stuff from Michaels that I picked up many years ago.

The bush is a root to which I glued bits of lichen. Then I coated it with Woodland Scenics flex paste for texture and to blend in the lichen. Then some spray paint- black overall and a little overspray of gray and dark brown. The leaves are Hudson and Allen attached with spray glue. I have another small bush that is going on the left of the base.

I'm really having a good time with the groundwork. This has been a fun project so far.

more to come, Gerald
  16. Helm A Fixture

England
    The groundwork is superb mate

Steve
    balder likes this.
  17. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Well done... Very realistic scenery

Colin
    balder likes this.
  18. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Gerald,
    Glad you kept the base at the original scale. The ground work is very realistic and effective, very well done. This is just my personal preference but the bush on the left looks a little bit too bright green and sharp it draws the eye immediately to the left, I would tone this back so it is in keeping with the rest of the excellent ground work. Look forward to seeing what you do with the cart and figures.
    cheers
    Richie
    balder likes this.
  19. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Blimey, I look at the scene and music from the movie keeps playing in my head:wacky:
    balder likes this.
  20. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Boy this has really captured the Movie thanks for sharing
    balder likes this.