1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP French Zouave Regt. 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Geoff Charman, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Geoff Charman A Fixture

I seem to be liking these Zouave still of uniforms as this is the third or four one I have done, this one is the lovely 1/10th one from Life Miniatures.
  2. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Here is the box art.

P1130387 (3).JPG

There was a far amount of cleaning up, but really only the removal of the pouring blocks but a couple were quite large, then after washing I primed the parts.

P1130421 (2).JPG P1130422 (2).JPG P1130423 (2).JPG
    The detail is really lovely and crisp and smooth.

My usual start is painting the eyes with acrylics and then when dry giving them a coat of acrylic gloss varnish.

then, I use Artist's oils for the flesh.

P1130430 (2).JPG P1130428 (2).JPG P1130429 (2).JPG

Now this head will be left to dry before painting further.
    Wings5797, patmaquette, Oda and 7 others like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

Nice choice mate and a good start as always with the fresh the eyes look nicely done

Look forward to seeing how you approach the lace work on the jkt

Following with interest

Nap
    Geoff Charman likes this.
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Big fan of this one also! Looking forward to your progress reports!

All the best,
    Dan
    Geoff Charman and Nap like this.
  5. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Nice start Geof. This is realy nice sculpt, very characterful. Keep it up :)

Cheers Borek
    Oda and Geoff Charman like this.
  6. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks guys, I am very pleased with the face as I changed my flesh mix a bit as I think I had started to get it a bit light on a few of my previous busts.
    Nap and Borek like this.
  7. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Hair done with an acrylic Cork Brown wash and the base coat on his headgear of Dark Vermillion.

P1130431 (2).JPG P1130432 (2).JPG P1130433 (2).JPG P1130434 (2).JPG

Inside the top of the hat I used a thinned Black Red before the red to give the creases some definition, now to give the hat another thinned coat of Dark Vermillion to give a more solid look.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

Looking better with ever post mate , good call for the flesh , this is going to be a nice looking piece when it's finished , there a lot of detail in this ...especially that backpack

For those that haven't seen Geoff work en masse , here's a still from a You Tube video of a show ...great display Geoff

image.png

Happy benchtime one and all

Nap
  9. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Many thanks Nap, gosh they do look good, even if I say it myself.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England

They do indeed Geoff ...more power to your brush I say !

Nap
  11. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    You are off to a good start agian, very nice. You have shamed me.
  12. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Knock'n em out like bagels.....do you ever take a leak?:) ....every time I see this piece I'm tempted.....Quite a gallery of impressive work.

Wayne
    Geoff Charman and Borek like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Young Geoff does the same to me as well Bob .

Always good to see his work ...hopefully all being well he should be at the Yeovil with me and Mrs Nap

Nap
  14. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Bob, don't worry mate you love your bird watching, doing figures will start again.
    Nap likes this.
  15. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Wayne, I do like to keep busy in the mornings, enjoy a good book in the afternoons in-between shopping, etc... and peeing...LOL
  16. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Thanks Nap, you have had your move and sort out to take up your time mate.
    Nap likes this.
  17. Geoff Charman A Fixture

Yesterday's progress, but before I forget the hair on the head was given a wash of Citadel's Earthwash, I forgot to mention that in the head pics.

Now body painting, first I used a dilute Dark Sea Blue in the creases then the base Dark Vermillion on the red lacing and detailing.

P1130435 (2).JPG

Then I used thinned Dark Blue to block in the shirt and tunic carefully going around the red edges..
    I also used a mix of the Blue with Andreas Blue to do the waist cloth.

P1130437 (2).JPG

And while I had the paint workable I painted the rolled sections on the backpack.

P1130438 (2).JPG

I might manage a bit more today, but I think the old eyes need a bit of a rest and it's my turn to do dinner.
    patmaquette, Grod, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Geoff

Very nice choice of blue there very vibrant ...big word from me ..not sure it's legal though ...lol

You take it easy mate ......get that pinny on and in the kitchen you go ...enjoy dinner

Happy oven use and happy benchtime

Nap
  19. Bluewillow New Member

France
    excellent Geoff,

I have that same one in my stash, yet to start him though, too much medieval planning on my next piece

cheers
    Matt
    Geoff Charman and Nap like this.
  20. Nap Moderator

England

It is a nice piece ...

A BIG Welcone to PF Matt as well ..look forward to your posts

Happy benchtime all

Nap