French Trumpeter Orleans Cavalry

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Roc, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Roc Active Member

United-States
    This is an extremely well sculpted and cast figure, produced by the pioneer of all figure manufacturers, Poste Militaire, unfortunately no longer in business.
    I was very fortunate to be able to find this figure and the New Orleans officer gracing a vendor's table at the MFCA show this year, I purchased these figures without hesitation, for me this was the best buy of the day.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hey Rocco,

When you do it as with the cavalery officer, and the cuirassier this is gonna be a awesome SBS.
    So i wait and see. (y) (y)
    Keep the picture's coming.

Marc
  3. whdamon New Member

United-States
    Roc
    Looking forward very much to see you put this figure through its paces. It is a heavy figure, so hope you are doing hand exercises or have some kind of holding devise. Any idea yet what colors for the horse?? Dapple would be a great challenge to pull off.

Walt Damon
  4. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Marc, I hope so, this figure is very complex, it is going to take a long time to paint.
    I also can't wait and am anxious to start work on it.

Cheers
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Walt, it is a very heavy figure, I guess when I go to the gym I'll have to increase my weights :lol:
    I haven't really thaught about a color for the horse,yet, but dapple sounds good, Thanks for the idea and I will take that into consideration.

Cheeers
  6. Opsofficer New Member

Roc,

Traditionally the trumpeter would ride a gray horse. Doesn't have to be a dapple grey, but you might want to practice your spots just in case! ;)

Justin :)
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Justin, I'm thinking of going with a grey, I'm not sure yet.

Cheers
    Roc.
  8. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    Hey Roc,
    You're right, it's a great figure I did it around 20 years ago and went with a dapple gray horse - lots of "fun". Just be careful mounting it to a base, the weight of the figure will cause the load bearing leg to weaken and give way.
    Best!
    Ric :)
  9. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Ric, you are right, I can see that I'm going to have a problem with metal fatigue, have to find a solution to the problem.

Do you have any suggestions ?

Cheers
  10. Kandor8 Active Member

United-States
    Roc,
    Instead of the use of a large "unbent" paper clip for the mounting pin I would use as thick a piece of a stiffer material as possible and drill as far up the horse's leg as possible. Brass might be a good choice and you can get it in several different diameters or a finishing nail. I used the paperclip support and suffered accordingly, after I fixed it I also "cheated" and put a camouflaged support under one of the horse's other knees covered by a clump of field grass. I'll try to see if I have any surviving photos to post.
    Best!
    Ric
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Thanks buddy, I appreciate it.

Cheers
    Roc
  12. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guys, I just starteed the Trumpeter, as soon as I get a chance I will post some pictures.

Cheers