1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Tambour (The Terror)

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by smudger1960, Apr 23, 2014.

1. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    This was a piece I completed late 2012 early 2013 and although im relatively happy with the finished result I would like the views of my fellow members to see if perhaps they had any views on how the piece may be made better,im thinking of putting it in a show and needed some real honest criticism ?

Brian / Smudger

tambour 001.JPG tambour 002.JPG tambour 003.JPG tambour 004.JPG tambour 005.JPG tambour 006.JPG tambour 007.JPG
    Tonton, Borek, pgarri27 and 10 others like this.
  2. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    How to improve on perfection? Difficult question Brian!

If that were mine I'd be absolutely over the moon with it, but then again you are in a different league to me.

If I were scratching around in desperation looking for something to criticise, I'd say maybe some of the blue highlights a tad too light? But that could just be me talking tosh. And that face is superb.

If it were me I'd just bung it in as is, and see how it does. And if the judges ignore it, let me know and I will go round and smash them in the face with a custard pie.

- Steve
  3. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve,ive just finished laughing about your views,thats interesting about the blues,do you mean on the flag or the coat?
  4. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Steve,let me know your address so I know where to send the custard pie :LOL:
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I was thinking more the coat than the flag Brian.

- Steve
  6. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    The only thing I can see that could do with some attention (and I don't know if it can be done with paint), is that while the clothing looks worn and ragged and torn, the face looks young and clean and peaceful. What do you think?
    Best wishes, Gary.
  7. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    Maybe not to clean, but you get the idea.
  8. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    trouble is gary,the face does look quite young looking but im not sure how I could age it without altering it sculpt wise?,basicly its just little tweaks here and there im looking for,something to make it pop if you know what I mean,i need one of your vince cable faces :LOL:
  9. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Ill see if I can do something with the lights mate on the coat (y)
  10. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Easy ....... Brian's too baldy ........ here's a picture to prove it :)
  11. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Leave well alone Brian ....... it looks exactly right, great atmosphere.
    Not unusual to have a clean face and manky clothes......think about camping......you wash yourself and don't bother about your clothing.
  12. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi del,i did add a little blackness to the face to try and replicate smoke or dust,but i think youre right,its just the pop effect it dosent seem to have :)
  13. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I've always liked this as you know Brian, I would leave it alone, if you are happy with it then what else matters? Who knows what judges are thinking at any one time, I've seen things given Gold that I wouldn't give house room, it's all about who, when, whether they got their leg over last night and what they had for breakfast-not a precise science mate, impossible to predict!

Keith
    BOBK, Helm, DEL and 1 other person like this.
  14. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    T
    Thanks keith,thinking about it your pribably right about the judging,thanks for your feedback,hope youre keeping well,hope to see you at figureworld
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    I agree with Keith judges please themselves and it's what you think that counts ultimately (y)
    Steve
  16. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for that advice Steve :)
  17. Karlosfandango Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Love it, I'd be happy with it.
    There's high contrast, if that's the right term, but I like that in this , very artistic!
    Karl
  18. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I'd be more than happy with that Brian, I love the weathering.

If I were to be really picky I would say that some of the flesh colour from the face has crept onto the hair but I'm presuming the effect is deliberate weathering.

Oh, and he looks as camp as a row of pink tents...I think it's the neckerchief that does it ;)

Cheers,
    Billy :)
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Billy,thanks for those coments,now you mention it he does look like a bikt if a shirtlifter :)
  20. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks Karl