1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Sopwith Bomber with Figures

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by chippy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes, this is an airplane, but it does include 3 figures so I thought it would be allowed. I'm awaiting Carl's judgement on this, as our new moderator ;);). This is 1/48th scale kit by Roden and is seriously the worst kit I have ever attempted. I have had to drill out larger holes, fill areas, and file back, to name but a few problems. This kit nearly took flight from one side of the room to the other on more than one occasion. The figures also 1/48th (35mm) are from Eduard and come as a set of 6 plastic figures in kit form, costing approx. £10 a set. The 2 French Officer figures are straight out of the box but the pilot I have modified by cutting a wedge out of the midriff to give the bend and used 2 arms from another figure and the hands from a 3rd. The table and tail support are made from "Subway" coffee stirrers ( preferable to those at "McDonald's") and matchsticks. chippy 003.JPG 008.JPG 006.JPG
    Helm, Jazz, Wings5797 and 8 others like this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    What a nice dio! Love it! I'm sure it will be a top class one!
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  3. Mark Dollery Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Nice layout Chippy, watching this closely....
    Mark D ;)
  4. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice Chippy.(y)
    My pinky didn't even hover over delete.;)
  5. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    Waiting for seeing it finished.
    Nice to choose a French Airplane The Spopwith 1.B1 (B= Bomber, 1=1 person on board)
    Normally it's a Roden kit
    [IMG]
    The Sopwith 1,5 Strutter appeared in the middle of 1916, and right after that the French Military Command became very interested in this new British development, since the French Air Force mostly had obsolete Farman and Breguet types in service. Agreement for license production of Sopwith 1,5 Strutter was quickly reached; however, due to the slow speed of development, the type was not appearing in great quantity, and in the beginning France purchased 1,5 Strutters produced in Great Britain. By the end of 1916 the following companies were involved in production of the plane: Harriot, Morane-Saulnier, Salmson, Nieuport and some others. In spite of the fact that all of these companies had developed similar aircraft of their own, they had to produce the 1,5 Strutter, which now had the type names Sopwith 1.B1 (one-seat version) and Sopwith 1.82 (two-seat version). French manufacturers managed to build about four thousand aircraft of both versions in quite a short period of time (until autumn 1917) There was almost no difference between the licensed Sopwith 1.B1 and its British counterpart except for the way bombs were loaded and fixed in the middle of the fuselage. The Le Rhone 9Jb engine was installed in the majority of these planes, while British-built aircraft had a Clerget 92 engine. At the moment of its fighting debut in the winter of 1916/1917 the plane was still competitive in fighting missions. This was proved by numerous missions bombing German industrial centers. However, in spring 1917 French bombers stopped flying their missions without sufficient fighter cover. The appearance of the Breguet 14.B2, in the same class but superior to the 1,5 Strutter in every respect, proved the Sopwith 1.B1 and Sopwith 1.B2 to be obsolete, and they were taken out of service. At that moment the Sopwith 1.B1 and Sopwith 1.B2 were very numerous, and it was impossible to stop their use straight away. Pilots did not like the type due to its low speed and lack of protective armament (the only machine gun was mounted over the wing - unlike the British type 9700 - and such a position did not allow its rearming in flight). Nevertheless, production of French 114 Strutters did not end until April 1918. AlI of the late-build machines were transferred to training units or sold to third countries.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

For History of French Group Bomber in WWI (sorry in French) and a lot of photos of men and their icredible machine have a look at :
    http://albindenis.free.fr/Site_escadrille/page_escadrilles_1_a_500.htm
    The figures comes from the box EDUARD 1/48° Aéronautique Française 1916
    [IMG]
    Great quality for injected plastic.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

complete critic ? have a look at :
    http://www.hyperscale.com/2007/reviews/kits/eduard8511reviewrb_1.htm
    The only thing i haven't yet determined is the P.E parts used on the plane, i think it'sPART from Poland, but i'm not sure.
    Ref S48-110
    http://part.pl/

[IMG]
    I hope that i forgot nothing;):):angelic:
    napoleonpeart and yeo_64 like this.
  6. Langenberg Active Member

United-States
    "Took flight" LOL! Been there...looks great so far, hang in there.
  7. Mariobusta A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Looking good . Next time I recommend making a Wingnut Wings kit , they are perfect in every way and there are many fine figures for WW1 aircraft in 1/32.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  8. Zastrow.cuirassier PlanetFigure Supporter

France
    I have quite all the Wingnut Wings, but there's only one French airplane, Salmson 2.A2, the Sopwith Triplane was British and only used in little number by the French Navy.
    [IMG]
    and only 4 french pilots in 1/32°, with only one in flying suit. (2 Guynemer, Metal Modèles et Manata figurines, 1 JMD, 1 Pilot in Flying suite Manta figurines-2 heads in the accessories)
    [IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    With Roden you have the SPAD VII C1, Nieuport 24 & 24bis, 27 C1 ( the 28 was only used by other countries, not France) And with Special Hobby Nieuport 11 Bébé and Morane-Saulnier Typ N (i choose only quality kit, quite equivalent as the Wingnut one's)
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    Not a big choice for the French air Force, sorry l'Aéronautique française in the Great War, knowing it was the first Air Force of this war !
    Jazz and Wings5797 like this.
  9. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Nice work so far Chippy. This will be a colourful scene when completed and very fitting in light of the centenary of WW 1. I can see a lot of work has gone into it already and planes can be so frustrating for us figure painters.
  10. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work Chippy, good to see you haven't abandoned figures completely :)
    I like what you have done with the A/C and figures, the table is a nice touch.

All the best
    Steve
  11. swralph A Fixture

12. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Looking good Gordon, I look forward to seeing this develop.
  13. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Up date .
    Thanks everyone for your most encouraging comments.
    Zastrow.Cuirassier, I would really like to thank you for the very informative and in depth reply. Your problem with the photo-etched parts could be due to the fact that Roden are trying to produce 4 versions of the same plane in one kit, the Sopwith Fighter (2 manned fighter with rear gunner), the I and 1/2 Strutter , The Sopwith Night Fighter and the Sopwith French bomber , all the parts for the different kits or in the box it's only the instructions that vary from kit to kit telling you which parts are not need , I've ended with more spare parts from this kit than when I repaired the washing machine:D .

Mariobusta I know Wing Nuts are superb kits but it's the 1/48th scale that appeals to me . Large enough to get good detail bur small enough not to take up to much room in the cabinet , although I'm sure I will tackle a Wing Nuts one day but at the moment I'm just dipping my toes into the world of Bi Planes .
    The two French officers are more or less done although I have noticed some of the buttons are over large and need repainting , the pilot has only the base coat on the overalls but helmet face and goggles are done .
    The plane needs a couple more coats of acrylic paint to get a good overall colour but since Zastrow's posting I'm very tempted to repaint it in the ligther colour scheme that appears on his first posting . I think the lighter colour would be easier to add dirt and grim . I might have overdone the flaking paint n the engine cowling, I'd like to know what you think
    Chippy
    006.JPG 011.JPG 016.JPG 018.JPG
    Mariobusta likes this.
  14. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along Chippy.
    Is this the one you got at Telford?(y)
  15. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes Carl , got this at Telford . The other one I bought Airco DH-2 turned out to be a 1/72nd although it was in a bigger box . That ended up flying from one end of the room to the other and then stamped into a thousand pieces ( always read the small print not the size of the box ) But my lovely wife bought me the larger 1/48th version for Christmas so all is peace and calm again down here in the West Country again .
    chippy
  16. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    All good stuff mate.;)
    Keep dry.(y)
  17. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks well Chippy glad to see you haven't floated out to sea
    Steve
  18. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Nice work mate, keep at it(y)