1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique French Sapper, 1870

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by jcichon, Feb 24, 2010.

1. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    This is an Elite miniatures 90mm white metal figure sculpted by Stefano Cannone and it was a beautiful sculpt. Painted in oils. Comments welcomed! Figure is basically done minus the rifle which is still drying. Sorry for the crappy pic but what can you do!!
    [IMG]

Attached Files:

2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Ok, a bit better pic
    [IMG]
  3. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    He turned out really nice. I like the weathering a lot.
  4. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Mike. This is something I was thinking about for Tulsa this year but I just dont think its near good enough. I've only been painting almost 2 years and have come a long way I think but still have a long way to go.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Jason,
    You made some great progress in your painting. Really like what you have done.
    Your basework can have some updates.
    Why don't you work out the metalbase he is standing on. You have plenty space at the wooden base. Pick up some putty and cover the woodenbase. Take a stone and push into the putty. Take some small stones and sand and work it into the putty.
    When dry, paint it just like the metal base, add some grass and leaves and you have a great base. At least it looks better then what you have now.

Marc
  6. Cvikings67 Member

United-States
    Jason,
    You've done a good job. I like the face, the blues, and the weathering. I'd be proud taking that to Tulsa.
    Chris
  7. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    I love it Jason:)
    Well done!
  8. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Jason; I would for sure bring it with you, it looks really great especially if you finish out the base like Marc reccomended. I use something called paperclay instead of putty mainly because it is cheap, dries rock hard, is very lite weight and super easy to work with. I get it at Hobby Lobby. I wouldn't worry about how long you have painted just how much you enjoy it, judging from the looks of this figure you are having a really good time. I hope to see him in Tulsa come June. Keep up the good work!

Mike
  9. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Matt and everyone else! I was thinking about extending out the basework but it's not attached to the wood base and its really just for display. I am looking at finding a smaller base for this. This is a 90mm figure which is the smallest scale I have worked in and it was a real challenge. I'm now starting on Andrea's "The Retreat" which is a beautiful subject and leaves a lot of room for experimentation. Just finished up the initial highlighting and shading on the face and I am kinda liking it so far!
  10. btavis Active Member

United-States
    I would take it to Tulsa. It is better to have people see it in person so you can get some great critical feedback if you want. Also, I don't think you would mind picking up a medal for it.

I noticed you left the Chassepot off. Any particular reason?
  11. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    yes, it was still drying when I took the pic but I have added it since.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    This is an excellent bit of painting Jason.
    Carl.
  13. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Jason,
    Looks fine to me.
    Cheers
    John
  14. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work Jason.
  15. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    This is very beautifully done and also on a small ground area which you have blended in very well.RobH(y)
  16. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
    Nice work Jason.
  17. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Very beautiful job here Jason, i like a lot the blues tones you have chosen, they really work with realism for the figure

cheers

stefano