1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Revolutionary War Uniforms?

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by KeithP, Dec 16, 2004.

1. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Folks-

I understand that "she who is Santa" will be presenting me with the Andrea 90 mm Apres le Revolution kit as well as a relevant Osprey title.

Can anyone here direct me to some good web sites that contain color plates or dwgs for this period?

Thanks,

Keith
  2. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Keith , are you looking for anything in particular from that period. I have a few titles covering that subject. Maybe I can scan a few plates and e-mail them over.

Stephen Mallia
  3. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Stephen-

The figure appears to be the generic sans culotte wearing a stoicking cap with cockade. And, looks to be wearing a well worh or cast off line infantry coat with sabot.

Here is the box art. I'd like to see if there are some opportunities for modification or see if the figure is reasonably accurate historically.

Thanks!

Keith

[IMG]
  4. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Keith , I will get back to you on this one

Stephen Mallia
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I may have something for you too Keith
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Stephen and Guy-

What ever you have will be appreciated.

Keith
  7. Barry Bradbury New Member

United-Kingdom
    French infantry uniform officially changed from white to blue in 1793. Officially the blue uniform had red collar and cuffs piped white, white lapels, turnbacks and cuff-flaps piped red. In practice this was very different with red lapels, blue cuff-flaps etc. Shoulder straps should have been blue with red piping but the Grenadiers seem to have worn their traditional fringed red epaulettes. The white waistcoat often had collar and cuffs in red. White breeches with white or black gaiters.

Due to the chronic shortages at this time many items of civilian clothing were pressed into service, striped waistcoats, ticken trousers, clogs stuffed with straw being very common as was no shoes at all with the feet wrapped in bandages.

The cap is the 1791 pattern forage-cap. I have a sketch of this in white with a red grenade in front.

Hope this is of use, if you require more information please let me know

Regards

Barry
  8. Lou Masses Member

United-States
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Barry - Thanks very much for the info. That is alot more than I new before hand!

Lou - Good references. Thanks. I had not given costume sites a thought. May be I should watch Start the Revolution without Me for a reference? :lol:

Keith