1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique French Poliu 1917, Jon Smith Modellbau 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jun 29, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

Here are the final pics of the completed figure.

As you can see, I've muddied him up with pastel chalks and added a few details to the base the create a bleak, wintry feel on the Western Front.(y)

I hope you like him.

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Yes, I like him but then I knew I was going to :D

Roger.
  3. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Tony,
    Great piece of work mate! I've got this figure on my desk waiting to be finished, & yours has given me loads of inspiration....
    Chris.(y)
  4. kansas kid Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice, Tony. I particularly like the way the terrain come 'up' to
    a level where the figure stands on the apex of that incline.
    Not something that would jump out at the viewer, but IMHO, it is
    worthy of mention just the same. Those 54mm eyes and the
    cigarette look really good too.

Well done,

Jayhawker
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice painting overall Tony,
    Regards
    Chris
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Excellent work Tony.
    Blue of a uniform is wonderful.
    I also liked completion of a ground work.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  7. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Really neat figure indeed. The base is very nice and I like your usuage of pastel chalks for the dirt. How do you affix the powder to the figure once applied?
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Nice one Tony.I've just dropped off my son who's going to be staying near you for about 5 weeks.Lucky bugger.
    Brian
  9. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great finish Tony.
    Carl.
  10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger, thanks mate. It's pleasing to know I've met your expectations.

Thanks Chris, good luck with your figure mate. I hope you'll post up some pics when you're finished to share with us.

Thanks Rick, I'm pleased your like the eyes. Doing eyes in 54mm is about the smallest details I can paint, so I'm glad you think I did an OK job.

Hi Chris, thanks for your comment mate, I appreciate it.

Hi Mitsutaka, thank you for your comments mate. I'm very pleased you like it.

Hi Mike, thanks for your comments mate. Pastel chalk is something I started using back in the 1980's when I was into AFV's. When you first apply the diluted pastels they look very bright, but after they dry spray Testors Dullcoat or Modelmasters Lusterless Clear over the figure, and it seals the pastels to the surface and also dulls the pastel colour down to a more natural look.

Hi Brian, thanks mate. I hope your son has packed his winter woolies. It almost got down to zero a couple of nights ago (but it didn't). I had to wear my winter shorts and tshirt all day to stay warm.

Thanks Carl, somehow I managed to tame the wild beast that is "Horizon Blue" without too much damage. I was helped by the fact that the figure is superbly sculpted and cast and the details are amazingly crisp.
  11. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the tip, this sounds like something I might play with.
  12. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Nice work Tony! I like this blue.

Cheers,
    Balázs
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tony. excellent finish, very nicely muddied and great work on the base.(y)
    Just an observation but would he of worn his medal in action.
    Cheers Ken
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Ken, I don't think Tony will mind me butting in here but the figure is based on a photo taken near the Chemin des Dames 1917 and the soldier the model is based upon can clearly be seen wearing the Croix d' Guerre.

This was quite a common practice in the French army, much like German soldiers wearing the Iron Cross award on their combat uniforms.

Roger.
  15. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    I was looking for the photo but found this instead, what a character!

Attached Files:

16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Balazs, thanks mate. I appreciate your comment.

Hi Ken, thanks for your comments mate. They are greatly appreciated.

I've attached below a photo of the soldier Jon Smith based this figure on. He is wearing the Croix de Guerre at Chemins de Dammes in 1917. I can only assume that it was, as Roger points out, common practice to wear such medals in combat.

Attached Files:

17. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Great stuff Tony the leathers are also good, you know one also has to IMHO be careful of too much mudding up as it can start to reflect negatively on the paintwork beneath,but in this case yourversion is very good, the trousers are nivcely darkened in kind.:cool:
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Fabulous painted Tony,
    I have one thing to neatpick: why did you used a different color for dirtying him up then your groundwork color????

Marc
  19. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Rob, thanks for your comments mate, and I understand what your point about excessive mud. I wanted him to look dirty, but not excessively. Finding the right balance is difficult, but I think I've restrained myself enough.

Hi Marc, thanks for your comment. I used the same colour pastel chalk on the groundwork and on the figure. The difference is that the mud on the ground is wet and darker, whereas some of the mud on the uniform has dried out and changed colour over time.
  20. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Excellent paintwork Tony!!

cheers,
    Marcel.