1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Poliu 1917, Jon Smith Modellbau 54mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by tonydawe, Jun 24, 2010.

1. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi guys,

A couple of nights ago, I started my latest project, a 54mm French Poliu (infantryman) at Chemins de Dames 1917 by Jon Smith Modellbau. I have to say the casting and crispness of the detail is amazing for a resin figure. The only addition I've made is to stick a cigarette in his mouth, otherwise he's OOB.

I pestered Dan Morton for some reference pics on the Horizon Blue colour for the uniform (which he duly supllied - thanks mate(y)) and then I got cracking.

Vallejo acrylic colours used for my version of Horizon Blue are Andrea Blue+ Oxford Blue with a touch of Basic Flesh. I want to show different variations of the blue on different parts of the uniform, so that no two blues are the same.

I'm still in the process of base coating. Once that's done I'll do some mid highlights and shadows, and later I'll move on to the deep shadows and upper highlights.

The face will be given a light wash of dilute oils to help add some depth of colour to the flesh tones.

Comments/criticisms welcome.

Attached Files:

gothicgeek and dArtagnan like this.
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good start on one of my own personal favourite figures Tony.

Roger.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Great start Tony. Is this your first Jon Smith figure?
    Carl.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Roger, I've used pics of your figure for reference mate.

Cheers Carl, yes my first JSM figure, but not my last. I also have the Verdun Poliu figure.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    It's a very nice figure (so ar all Jon Smith) to paint. I've don it myself and must admit that the sigaret is a very nice touch.

Marc
  6. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Hi! Tony.
    Excellent start!
    I think it builds into a wonderful work.
    I'm looking forward to completion.

Mitsutaka
  7. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Thanks Marc,

I've seen the pics of your figure and remember it well.

Thanks Mitsutaka,

I hope you like the latest pics, which I've posted below.

It's 3am here and I've been painting for the past 6 hours (with a brief stop for dinner). Time for a few well earned hours of sleep.

Most of the mid highlights are now done, and I've started on the mid shadows. After they are done, th next step is to do some serious blending and then add the upper highlights and deepest shadow colours. And then blend some more.

Finally, I'll wash the figure with oils and add the weathering after I've painted the base.

Attached Files:

8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You're not hanging around with this one Tony.
    Great job so far,
    Carl.
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    No, no, no, that horizon blue is totally the wrong shade :D:D:D Nice bit of face painting though. :)

Roger.
  10. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice Tony :)

A daunting colour I imagine :)

Mark
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Carl, got nuthin' better to do mate. The juices were definitely flowing last night. Thanks for your comments.

Hi Roger, LOL. So much fuss is made about Horizon Blue, but in reality its just another shade of blue, with a few tonal variations. Glad you like the face.

Hi Mark, the only daunting thing is bringing out all the magnificent details in the sculpt. Even with the maginfier I'm struggling to do justice to all the tiny details. Getting the blue colour right was the easy part.
  12. Ferris A Fixture

Starting to come alive Tony! Nice work so far!

I'm not sure about the eyes though; maybe its the sculpt, but they could use some more depth. Maybe a dark outline to the upper eye lid, and narrowing (left/right, not width) the shadow below the lower eye lid a tiny bit?? Maybe its just the pictures though.

Hope you caught up on sleep!

Cheers,
    Adrian
  13. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your comments mate. I think it might be the pics that are making the eyes look funny, but I'll fiddle around with them and add some shadows and narrow the length of them.

I've been blending and applying shadow washes over the weekend.

With the base and groundwork done, its time to bring out the pastel chalks and get some mud on him.

Attached Files:

14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    This'll lok terrific once the weathering has been added Tony. Funny how with most kits people elect to make their own groundwork but nearly everyone of these I've seen the supplied base is used, says a lot for Jon Smiths product.
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Roger, thanks mate. You make a good point. The base supplied with the kit is so good, I haven't done anything to it except add some paint. I'm very impressed with the amazing detail that this kit has and how clean the resin is. Kudos to Jon Smith.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Any plans to do more of the Jon Smith range Tony?
  17. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Yes, I have the French Polui Verdun figure and also the Prussian Uhlan (1st Hanoverian) figures in 54mm. I'd also like to try the 120mm stuff one day, it looks great.
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    You didn't hang around with this one Tony. Turned out well, but isn't the horizon blue the wrong colour?:D I can certainly recommend all Jon Smith figs, they're excellent.
    Carl.
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Fine painting, Tony! Well done! I like the different shades of blue used - capote, trousers, putties.

All the best,
    Dan
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Carl, thanks mate. JSM are now my favourite 54mm resin figure producer. As for the Horizon Blue, well I haven't finished yet, so wait and see how it turned out.

Thanks Dan, your reference photos were extremely helpful and gave me licence to try several different shades of blue in creating my Horizon Blue mix.