1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP French Poilu from Model Cellar

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MattMcK., Oct 8, 2022.

1. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

I have no idea of its origin, but the helmet has a nasty V shaped gouge in it that was banged back into place at some point. I hope no one was wearing it at the time. I found it on eBay from a guy parting with his grandfather’s collection.
    Nap likes this.
  2. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent work.. a Piece to be proud of..
    Nap likes this.
  3. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Na, you got this in the bag, great work!
    Nap likes this.
  4. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Adding some water…
    2DFD584F-7C65-4950-AB15-B396838657B4.jpeg
    kaz6120, China Dave, NigelR and 2 others like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Matt

As Steve says " You've got this in the bag "

Water effects look really good .....a peaceful moment among the horrors of war

The figure looks so right in the setting

Thanks for sharing

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    MattMcK. likes this.
  6. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

My wife says more dirt and grit on and around the sandbags. Any other suggestions?

4DC61DAD-61A8-4F17-9883-071BF892FC02.jpeg FA2BB6CA-4221-4C78-BE4A-17CCC0307C24.jpeg 5BE84C8D-F630-4B0D-B7A9-DB5F3B0645B7.jpeg B0D27CC2-3EE0-45AF-B367-9653BDF1F477.jpeg C2E955A1-6EA1-462C-BF4E-2F2EFBF2CC6E.jpeg
    kaz6120, China Dave, Dr Bison and 2 others like this.
  7. JasonB Moderator

United-States
    I agree with your wife. I am in the midst of a 1/9 figure in a trench section with sandbags, and I made sure to put some dirt between and on top of the bags to set them into the landscape. I just pushed some magic sculpt in the cracks and stippled it with a stiff bristle brush and painted it when set. For dirt on top, I just used some baking soda mixed with acrylic paint to make it chunky and muddy, and gobbed it on. Once it was dry I added various mud colors to make it a combo of wet and dry and blend a bit into theSandbag.
    Brilliant vignette BTW!
    MattMcK. likes this.
  8. Mike - The Kiwi A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Phenomenal scene Matt & within the Poilu helmet adds extra poignancy to him. He doesn’t look happy at all!
    Agreed with sandbags, more gunge - I like pastel mixed paint to soil up the bags.
    Would also recommend adding muddied prints where his feet have wandered about given the pool of water snaking through the trench line. Inspiring example which would have all us WW1 modellers calling ModelCellar for our copy of Kaz’s figure.
    Thanks for sharing.
    MikeTheKiwi
    MattMcK. likes this.
  9. NigelR A Fixture

This is looking fantastic, a very clever and evocative setting. Agree with your wife and the comments above, just a bit more gunge and debris to tie the sandbags into the scene better, and maybe a bit between the wood of the trench supports.
    MattMcK. likes this.
  10. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Completed! The finished work is posted over in the "Completed" forum. Thanks all for the support and advice!
    kaz6120 likes this.