1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Napoleonic Period Cavalry Harness

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Huw63, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Huw63 A Fixture

Hello all

The weather being not so good here means I've a long weekend to spend some time at the bench and I've come to query which is looming large in my mind.

I treated myself to the Metal Modeles Mounted Line Lancer Officer and the Guard Artillery Train officer for Christmas. Both figures have light cavalry harness. both come with four buckles for the harness - one for the lead for the bridle attached to the saddle, 2 for the reins leaving one for the snaffle reins.

My query is: should the snaffle reins have one or two buckles? I've checked Rousselot, Knotel, Tradition magazine and the "Histoire et Collections" books and every other relevant book I possess.. Sometimes one buckle is depicted on the left side of the snaffle reins, sometime a buckle on both sides. Was there a standard practice or were both variants found?

Any help in putting me out of my misery would be greatly appreciated. If no one has an answer next weekend I will be at the Montrouge show and in my broken French I'm going to ask Mr Leibowitz himself. (I'm going to ask him about the Guard Horse Artillery on foot's waistcoat which he shows as red but I can find no reference to them wearing red waistcoats anyway),

Cheers

Huw
    Steve likes this.
  2. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey Huw

I'm no expert in the field, but I believe both sets of reins have a buckle on each side. Two buckles each. The halter lead doesn't get a buckle... It hands from the ring or loop and is looped at the saddle or over the neck with the "noose" slider knot.

bridle uzda napoleonic.jpg double-bridle.jpg

Hope this helps.

BTW... riding season's almost on us. Are you ready?

Colin
  3. Huw63 A Fixture

Hi Colin

It helps thanks and I agree with you on this one. Loved the drawings - where did you get them?

As for bikes. Ready but cold and wet here

Happy Easter

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    No prob Huw...
    The pics are just gleaned off the internet. Just Google "French Hussar tack".

We had some warm days here but I waited for the salt to rinse of the roads. Friday I did my oil change and spring prep, to be ready for Monday and... it friggin' SNOWED last night!!!!! :mad::facepalm: I can't catch a break!!!

Screw it! I'm riding anyway!:p

Colin
  5. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Huw/Colin,
    Same here in Suffolk, East Anglia.......started out at 9.30a.m in lovely sunshine;chilly, but that's what the leathers are for. Rode for about 30 miles, then a mist closed in!
    And turned cold on my old knuckles and knees. Rode back home under grey skies--typical Bank Holiday Monday:cool: It was good to get out ,however. Go safe out there, chaps.

Cheers, Alan
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Atta Boy Taff!

As soon as I log off here, I'm squeezing my fat ass into my gear and heading out... give the old girl her fist shake out ride of 2015
  7. Huw63 A Fixture

You are both inspiring me. As soon as I'm back from the Montrouge show I will be out and about.

Ride safe ride free
  8. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Aaaaaahhhhh, I managed a couple of hours blasting around the city, just blowing the cobwebs outta the bike... and my head. I really needed that.

Hopefully the weather will break fully by the end of the week.

Happy haulin'

Colin
  9. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Colin,
    That sounds good to me(y) In 2000, I spent a couple of happy hours in the HD shop in downtown Toronto, whilst we were there with friends on holiday. Got a great T-shirt--the one with the roaring grizzly on the chest. Wore it to distraction[and destruction!]. My Nightster has just sailed through its annual MOT[ a hopeless test we have here for roadworthiness], so I'm a happy bunny:cool:

Cheers, bud, Alan
    Huw63 and ChaosCossack like this.
  10. Huw63 A Fixture

Good to see you ride a real bike Alan! We have a test every 3 years here but it is thorough! But it's very strict as to what aftermarket bits you can and cannot fit and the modifications you can make - moulding of frams is a definite no-no.

Cheers

Huw
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Yes, Huw, I know the Swiss can be arsey about mods to machines --- mate got pulled over on his trike some years back; told them to stuff it,he was just riding through. Showed the fuzz his docs,etc., so they let him go. A joke ,when you consider most customs are better than factory made!

Cheers, Alan

P.s. Wasn't this post supposed to be about French light cavalry harness?:whistle::ROFLMAO:
  12. Huw63 A Fixture

Err we do seem to have drifted off in another direction - but it's all good clean fun!:D

When I first met my wife I came over on my Softail and the police had a fit as it was unsilenced but with a UK plate could do nothing :) . It's been here with me for 15 years now and I had to get quiet Screaming Eagle pipes for it within 12 months of importing it. Still it's louder than the Swiss machines.... but my poor Sportster has always has a but less grunt as it too had to have quieter pipes :(

Cheers

Huw
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    We only have to get inspected once when it's registered. Equipment regs really only apply to stock bikes... but... when I build a bike from scratch and it's registered as "homebuilt", I am the factory so the way I build it is considered "stock". So, straight pipes... stock, no signals... stock, open belt primary... stock, foot clutch and jockey shift... stock. The only things they get pissy about is high handlebars and mandatory front brake. My apehangers cost me a $110 fine and a couple of half assed chases through down town traffic... they can't fine me if they can't catch me :sneaky:

My UltraGlide is bone stock except for some hand brushed pinstriping (von Dutch style), an S&S carb, a hot cam and ignition and a set off extra long, straight through fishtails... she absolutely roars when I give her a savage twist :singing:

It's windy, chilly and raining here for the next few days... that's ok, it'll wash the rest of the salt residue off the road. Sunday, they're calling for sun and 19C... guess where I'll be on Sunday;)

Shiny side up boys... oily side down... get your knees in the breeze

Colin
    Huw63 likes this.
  14. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Sounds very good, Colin. I'm off this weekend to Gloucestershire with my bunch of mates -- we are known as the "Grandfathers", but we have,over the years, attracted younger chaps to the 'group' or 'fraternity'. Celebrating our silver anniversary this year, so big shenanigans in July.
    My 1200 Nightster is just my size,now it's been lowered, stock bars on 2" risers, V&H short - shots[black], and I had it repainted in military green with the Ddraig Goch [Red Dragon] on the tank sides; XXXVIII in gold beneath. It has a pair of side carriers with ammo boxes affixed, and a German gas mask cylinder behind the saddle as a valise. Gets some strange looks, as folk can't make out what it is--- vintage or modern! It's been done like that as a tribute to the 38th. Welsh Division in WW1, as my great-uncle was in [and died in] the 16th.Battalion.

Stay safe out there, Alan
  15. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    That sounds very cool. I like themed bikes
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada

Royal Welsh or Royal Welch Fusiliers? Both had a 16th Bn in that Division. My great uncle was killed in the same brigade as the 16 RWF, in the 14th Bn.

Colin
  17. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Royal Welch Fusiliers, Colin, .....Lance corporal, signaller, went right through to 31-10-18, then died from the 'flu after being gassed. I've visited his grave at Etaples, France, and some of the places he served; Mametz Wood, St. Albert, etc. Your great-uncle's battalion , like mine, was part of the 113th. Brigade.
    We have a duty, I feel, to honour their memories. Do you know where he's buried?

Alan
  18. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I thought you meant riding horses as the comment was along with horse heads :rolleyes:

guy across the road from me got T boned on his bike yesterday ; just a fractured ankle , he was less than fifty yards from his house and some numpty drove across the T junction without stopping . One mangled BMW bike . reminds me of my biking days:eek: and why I stay off them :)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  19. Huw63 A Fixture

This has proved an interesting thread. Like the theme bikes of course. Had two distant relatives in the 38th and they survived. Also had a great uncle who served in the Field Artillery and was a bit deaf after the war.

Glad your neighbour survived the smash Ron.

Well this is the day I'm on my way to the Montrouge show and of course to do some sightseeing in Paris (of the more dubious kind naturally )
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Never found Alan. He is remembered on the Vis en Artois Memorial. I think he and a few others were obliterated by an artillery strike in August 27, 1918. We have his death penny. I wish I knew when he joined up so I knew which actions he was involved in. His brother was in another RWF Bn at Gallipoli and his other brother (my Grandad) was RFC/RAF

Colin