1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Infantryman 1870- back at the bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, May 21, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks very much Nick... I actually enjoy painting red and blue... even if it is a battle sometimes. Mind you, doing 18th and 19th century figs I get lots of practice as these two make up at least 75%of the uniform colours at that time.

Thanks Colin... I'll take that offer... my camera does suck and I'm not offended by charity. I'll take whatever I can get ;)

Cheers

Colin
    NickM likes this.
  2. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Colin, I see a great work on the reds and blues.
    I like the shade of blue you have achieved, I looked at so many pics of those uniform in the past and I can tell you you have that blue dead on my friend.
    The red looks vibrant, nice contrast between lights and shadows, are you finished with those shadows yet or you will darkened it more?
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Daniel... always appreciate your opinion. I may go over the reds a tiny bit, as there are some touch ups to be done :rolleyes: Cheers

That being said...
    I did touch up the reds where I slipped here and there. Added the red collar tabs and the regimental number "47" on the kepi band. The haversack was highlighted by adding offwhite to the buff... increasing over 3 steps. The shading was done by adding burnt umber to the buff in steps down to straight burnt umber.
    IMGP0057.jpg IMGP0058.jpg IMGP0059.jpg IMGP0060.jpg IMGP0061.jpg IMGP0062.jpg IMGP0063.jpg IMGP0064.jpg
    I call the main part of the figure done... so far.

Got a start on the equipment. The backpack is a combo of drybrushing and washes. Tent poles are basically done... still to do, rope on the poles, straps, blanket roll and mess tin... and of course the rifle :D
    IMGP0065.jpg IMGP0066.jpg IMGP0067.jpg
    Thanx for looking in... comments appreciated.

Cheers

Colin
  4. Ray Welshman Active Member

Coming together, looking good

Cheers

Ray
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Ray
    How's the Strat bugler coming?
    Don't you have a buddy in the Mounties? Things are pretty bad for them right now... bloody sad. Seeing their families at the funeral was crushing. My heart goes out to them.

Colin
    crf likes this.
  6. Ray Welshman Active Member

Colin

Coming along well, got the saddle pretty well finished, will be starting the horse cleanup soon. Yea got a couple of buddies in the Mounties, I built two 120mm mounted figures as a gift to each of them over the years.

Cheers

Ray
    ChaosCossack and crf like this.
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Looking very good Colin.

He's a complicated little blighter to paint but you have crackd it Mate.

All the very best, Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    This is coming together really well, i'm taking note of the reds and blues used and looking forward to using this colour combination eventually. I suppose you have already thought of the general colouring to use for the groundwork?

Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal
    Been missing your work, sorry about that mate!
    This figure is going along nicely! Well done ;)

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    *Keith, thanx alot mate, the uniform is nice and simple until you get to his kit... seems he's carrying everything but the kitchen sink :blackeye:
    *Zane, these two mixes are probably the most used out of my "recipe book". Yes, my mild OCD had me write down all the mixes I've used as well as ones I've gleaned from books and other PF members :sneaky:. Just shoot me a line if you want a mix for any colour... I'm happy to share.
    *Pedro, good to hear from you... thought you too were MIA. Thanx for the support. What have you got on the bench lately? The Highlander you did last will be a tough one to top.

Getting down to the short strokes on this one... hopefully have him done up in the next few days. Then the basing begins... :nailbiting:

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    I have a circa 1870 French kitchen sink if you want to achieve thr full biffter:whistle:
    All the best mate,
    Keith
    DSCF8549.JPG
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent progress Colin.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  13. Aveleira A Fixture

Portugal

Hi Colin,

I'm coming back to action! Yes, the highlander is one of two figures I've been painting. The tartan is a nightmare....

Regards
    Pedro
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Finished off the backpack/blanket roll assembly...
    IMGP0068.jpg IMGP0069.jpg IMGP0070.jpg
    ...and attached it to the figure. That leaves the rifle and groundwork and this little bugger is DONE!!!
    IMGP0071.jpg IMGP0072.jpg IMGP0073.jpg IMGP0074.jpg IMGP0075.jpg IMGP0076.jpg IMGP0077.jpg IMGP0078.jpg IMGP0079.jpg IMGP0080.jpg IMGP0081.jpg
    Thoughts?

Cheers

Colin
  15. Ray Welshman Active Member

Hey Colin

looks really good so far nice contrast between the blue and red.

Looking forward to seeing the finished figure on a nice base

Cheers

Ray
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Ray... Gonna start on the base itself tomorrow and "dig in" to the groundwork this weekend :sneaky:

Colin
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Very well painted Colin.
    The face is full of character, the reds and blues are highlighted and shaded very well indeed.
    The only suggestion I can offer is to add just a touch of brown edging to give a used look to the black leather and scaberd.
    A great little piece that you have created here my friend.......would you say your best to date? I think that I would, depending on the ground work of course. No pressure Mate.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Keith... yeah,no pressure at all... aacck!!!
    I am quite pleased with the way he's turned out. It's a very simple yet effective figure. Well sculpted, great detail and easy to assemble. Well engineered. All this made it a breeze to paint. The drapery was very well defined, which made shading and highlighting very obvious.
    Best to date? I don't know, but there are aspects of it that definitely are much improved over some of my previous efforts... which is good to see, from a learning standpoint.

I hope my groundwork lives up to expectations :nailbiting:

Cheers

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Colin, great progress on this trooper.
    Are you planning to have him on parade or battlefield?, the reason I ask is that if you are displaying him on the battlefield it would ne nice to see some dirt on the bottom edge of the uniform, I've never been able to achieve that effect of wear and tear at the edges, but I trust you can do an awesome job on that my friend :):)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Daniel
    I think I'll be putting him in a rural setting... The eve of Gravelotte or Mars-la-Tour. More of marching dust than full on, after battle condition. Usually I save weathering the figure until when I'm painting the groundwork. That way the dirt on the figure matches the dirt he's standing on ;) We can't have him covered in yellowish dust when he's tromping through a field of red clay.

Colin
    MarquisMini likes this.