1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Infantryman 1870- back at the bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, May 21, 2014.

1. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Mate looking really good I have loads of projects on the go its my therapy from work lol I had a period where I could not pick up a brush or get motivated with an interest that I love don't pressure yourself just let it flow some days it works some day it dont ,but you will get back to where you want to be with it .
    Take it easy and enjoy
    Cheers Chris looking forward to seeing more
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  2. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Looks very good!(y)
    Looking forward to see this little guy at our next meeting!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx for the supportive words guys... more than I get from the cat!
    Good advice Chris... never works if you force it.
    He'll be there Zeno, hopefully done, or close to it at least.

Colin
  4. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Update-
    Finished off the blues of the coat and hatband. Started with an overlapping shade withe the base colour.
    IMGP0003.jpg IMGP0004.jpg IMGP0005.jpg IMGP0006.jpg IMGP0007.jpg IMGP0008.jpg IMGP0009.jpg
    Then added some black to the base for the first shade, then more black for deep folds and edging equipment and buttons etc.
    IMGP0010.jpg IMGP0011.jpg IMGP0012.jpg IMGP0013.jpg IMGP0015.jpg IMGP0017.jpg

Next, all the black leather

Colin
    Aveleira, NickM, tiberius57 and 2 others like this.
  5. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Black leather parts... Belts, straps, boots, hat peak and scabbard.

Base- German Grey + Orange Brown
    IMGP0018.jpg IMGP0019.jpg IMGP0020.jpg IMGP0021.jpg
    Highlights- More Orange Brown was added to the base in a couple of steps.
    IMGP0022.jpg IMGP0023.jpg IMGP0024.jpg IMGP0026.jpg IMGP0027.jpg IMGP0028.jpg
    Edges and wear points (belt ends and edges and boot toes) were drybrushed with straight Orange Brown. Details picked up with a hard wash of black in those specific areas.

IMGP0029.jpg IMGP0030.jpg
    A couple of layers of watered down black wash, allowing the orange to show through on the wear spots.
    IMGP0032.jpg IMGP0033.jpg IMGP0034.jpg IMGP0035.jpg IMGP0036.jpg IMGP0037.jpg IMGP0038.jpg
    Finally, brass buttons and buckles and steel cup and water jug were done.
    IMGP0039.jpg IMGP0040.jpg IMGP0041.jpg IMGP0043.jpg
    Thanx for looking in... comments and suggestions are most welcome

Colin
    Aveleira, tiberius57 and Wings5797 like this.
  6. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    Nice work, sorry i've stepped into this thread a tad late, will follow with interest as I intend to paint a couple of figures from the same era.

Cheers Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Glad you stopped in Zane
    There are some great uniforms from this conflict... Simple yet very elegant and classic. I also have a few more French infantry from this war and I can't wait to get ahold of Carl's 75mm Zouave :sneaky:

Cheers

Colin
  8. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    yeah, i'm waiting for the zouave as well along with the french officer and have found out Stormtroopers produced a prussian officer advancing up a hill which would make a nice 3 figure vignette.

Zane
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Is the Prussian a Carl Reid sculpt as well?

Colin
  10. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Colin No the prussian is by another sculpter. I have that figure on the work bench now. I have put a new head on him and some other equipment it's a nice peice. Glad you like the new one from Carl we hope to have him out in about 2 weeks will post on here when he's ready to ship.

Ian
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  11. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Colin,
    Hope all is well with you now Mate, it's great to see your work and wit again.
    There are no signs of rust setting in during the interim, this little fellow look really great........Reds, Blues, Flesh all superb.
    Press on old chap looking forward to your progress on all fronts.
    All the very best,
    Keith
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ian, I'll be ordering the zouave the second it's available.
    Keith, it's good to be back at it... too long of a layoff. Hopefully, this guy gets the ball rolling the way it should be.

Thanks

Colin
    Wings5797 likes this.
  13. frog Active Member

England
    Nice work and good to see you back with a brush(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx frog... This is a good fig to recut my teeth on... lots of creases and folds to work with as well as forcing dark blue and red... hard colours to deal with sometimes.

Colin
  15. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Nice progress, my friend! (y)
    Will follow closely!
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Zeno... Don't follow too closely, I make alot of sudden stops ;)

A little progress...
    White canvas gaiters were done using Andrea's White Set and GW Delvan Mud wash. Buttons brass. The haversack is basecoated with Vallejo Buff. I gave the tin cup a couple of rough layers of off white to try and replicate a tin cup painted with white porceline with some chips and the bottom worn down to bare metal.
    IMGP0044.jpg IMGP0046.jpg IMGP0047.jpg IMGP0048.jpg IMGP0051.jpg IMGP0052.jpg IMGP0056.jpg
    Thoughts? As usual the pics are crap... sorry:sorry:

Colin
  17. Ray Welshman Active Member

Looking good

Cheers

Ray
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Ray, I keep falling behind... torn between watching the Stanley Cup or sitting at the bench.

Colin
  19. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good Colin. We need to club together and buy you a camera. This guy is turning out very nicely.

Colin t'other
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice work, Colin, he's coming together beautifully. He ain't an easy figure to paint with all that blue and red, but you're doing an awesome job of it.
    Glad you're back at the brushes too, mate.
    ChaosCossack likes this.