1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Infantryman 1870- back at the bench

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by ChaosCossack, May 21, 2014.

1. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Hey all

Haven't touched a brush since March... life kicked me in the gut and I couldn't bear to continue with the Cossacks I was working on at that time. Tried to restart but to no avail.

Decided to get the brushes moving again by starting something new...
    1IMGP1203.JPG
    This French Infantryman of the the Franco0Prussian War is a 54mm offering from Andrea. Nice crisp sculpt that went together fairly well. Painted with Vallejo acrylics so far.

Flesh tones-
    IMGP1181.jpg IMGP1182.jpg IMGP1185.jpg IMGP1186.jpg IMGP1188.jpg
    The reds are strictly basecoated... with straight Vallejo Carmine. Highlighting start maybe tomorrow.
    IMGP1193.jpg IMGP1194.jpg IMGP1196.jpg IMGP1197.jpg IMGP1198.jpg IMGP1199.jpg IMGP1200.jpg IMGP1201.jpg
    From the look on Shooter's face, he's obviously enthralled by the level of the work so far.
    Shooter 1.JPG Shooter 2.JPG Shooter 3.jpg
    Thanx for looking in... as always, sorry for the crap pics. Feels good to splash some paint around again.

Colin
  2. taff edwards A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice to see ya back at them brushes ,coming along nice
    Cheers Chris
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  3. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Doug Cohen told me a few years ago, that no matter,he tries to get at least 15-20 mins at the workbench every day. I've been trying this lately and I can see how it helps. KEEP AT IT(y)
  4. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    very nice start colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great start.

Marc
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  6. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Painting is therapy and the final product is your reward. Your effort is coming around nicely and I look forward to seeing some more pics (y).

Amazing how cats can gingerly make their way onto a spot to lay down and nap, surrounded by delicate, pokey things!

Joe
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looking good so far Colin. Must have taken a lot to throw you off your cherished Cossacks - sorry and hope you can get back to them. One of my cats knocked LaSalle over and shattered his foot, stirrup and destroyed his sabretache and sabre slings. Amazing how a small mishap can knock a project back into the storage box. Anyway, this one us looking really nice at this early stage.

Colin
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  8. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Good to see you back at the workbench! This will work as therapy. Looking forward to see this little guy.
    Cheers,
    Zeno
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Lasalle A Fixture

Italy
    Hi Colin! Great start! I like it, Bravo!
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  10. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks for the kind words gentlemen.
    It is good to be back at it again.
    For what it's worth, the NHL playoffs have had a hand in slowing down production as well :joyful:

Colin
  11. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The 1:1 scale cat is awesome! Black is not an easy colour to shade and highlight convincingly, and you've done a great job on the eyes. Probably your best yet Colin!

- Steve
    crf and ChaosCossack like this.
  12. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Steve. It comes down to a good sculpt
    The hardest thing was getting the bored expression right.

Colin
    Babelfish likes this.
  13. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Makes one wonder which is the superior species - them or us. Understand your cat and you will understand your wife.

Colin
  14. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    The cat makes perfect sense (or should I say purrrrrrfect)....The wife, now that's a tougher nut to crack. Pushing 25 years and not even close to getting a handle on that conundrum.

Colin
    Funky50 likes this.
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Nice start, Colin - will follow.

Cheers
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  16. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Did a bit more on this one...

Finished the reds. Highlighted with sunny skinetone added to the carmine, three steps. Shaded with Red (926).Also based the blues using Dark Prussian Blue+Black+English Uniform.
    IMGP1207.jpg IMGP1208.jpg IMGP1209.jpg IMGP1210.jpg
    Highlighted the blues by first adding English Uniform and Sky Grey then 3 steps of just more Sky Grey.
    IMGP1212.jpg IMGP1213.jpg IMGP1214.jpg IMGP1215.jpg IMGP1216.jpg IMGP1217.jpg
    I'll hopefully get to shading the blues later tonight.

Cheers

Colin
    Edorta, Aveleira, Martin64 and 2 others like this.
  17. swralph A Fixture

Lovely painting so far
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  18. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Thanx Ralph... Got to do my two favourite colours to paint... Red and Blue

Colin
  19. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Colin.(y)
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  20. Huw63 A Fixture

Very nice work Colin. The cat seems to appreciate it too...
    ChaosCossack likes this.