1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Imperial Guard or Poilu

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mil-mart, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ken, many thanks for the link; have book marked it....

Well, the only paint medium you haven't put hand to yet is oils.

But seeing as I am still a rank novice, I cant really say too much with out seeing what flavoured shoes I'm wearing:D

I can offer this bit of experience; lay your hands on some figures, and just try something with paint and brush; and have a can of oven cleaner to strip paint from it, and try again...I think I have stripped more then I have painted to date......sigh.....:rolleyes:

Still, I like the sculpt, the lady anatomy seems on, the soldier is posed right for some one carrying a load; I have seen some figures sculpted where there is a heavy back pack worn, and the centre of gravity is outside the zone of support from the feet. (hope that made sense)

Cheers

(off to wash licorice flavoured shoes from mouth...)
  2. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Ken,

Excellent work sofar and the figure looks better and better with every step!
    Can't wait to see the finished piece.

Regards,
    Marcel.
  3. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jamie, I think I did try oils once, but it took days, even weeks to dry, not enough patience.
    Good idea to practice using oven cleaner, does this only work on metal figures or will it also be ok for resin.

Cheers Ken

Marcel, many thanks for your comments, I'm hoping to finish the figure and put the final pics on this weekend or Mon latest.

Cheers Ken
  4. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ken,
    metal figures are fairly immune to oven cleaner. I have stripped some resin figures, I dare say most would not suffer too much. It would depend on the resin, how long they they are covered/ soaked in the oven cleaner.

I did strip one figure multiple times, the worst was a few pin holes. I have no idea what resin it was though.

high strength paint strippers are fairly aggressive, and can deform or even eat a resin figure.

there are some larger scale figures out there that are made of injected plastic; cheap starting points, no great investment, and ok test beds for techniques, ideas and so forth.

I'll leave a message on your page, rather then hijack your informative thread on sculpting

cheers
  5. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    finally finished

Well after adding the dog,bugle,rifle,sword and the kitchen sink
    ( only kidding ) it's finally complete.
    Many thanks for all your comments.
    Cheers Ken

Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations.?

Attached Files:

6. Nap Moderator

England
    Imperial Guard or Poilu

Ken ,
    I had the pleasure to both meet you and to see this in real life and it is fantastic , some great detail and so very much of it , like you said this needs to be broken down to assist in painting , but what an impression it will give when its done , love the "baggage" he is carrying .
    Heres an idea for another sculpt how about a bust (200mm) of a French WW1 soldier but in an early gas mask ...I would love to paint something like this up !!!!
    You are a talented sculptor that is for sure and you painting skills will improve with each figure as we chatted at Crewe on Sunday .

Best wishes

Nap (Kev Peart)
  7. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Kevin thanks for taking the time to demonstrate your painting technique and answering all my questions, great help.
    WW1 gas mask?? If you send me pics I'll attempt it.

Cheers Ken

What happens if you get scared half to death.... twice.?
  8. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Ken,
    great to see the figure(s) all come together....

[puts on Californian surfer dude accent] - Like, Awesome, Dude.
    [accent, now off]

Like the dog, looks right.

A fun little sculpt, thanks for sharing!!

Cheers
  9. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Jamie, thanks for watching and your comments.

How's your little lady coming along, perseverance as they say.

Cheers Ken.

3 kinds of people; those who can count & those who can't.
  10. BEER Active Member

Russian-Federation
    All I carry with myself !!)
    Very interesting idea !!
  11. Doberdob Active Member

Very original idea. Excellent realisation! Congratulations.

Primož
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    What the $%$#
    I missed this, don't know why.
    Read this over and over, and i think you created something unique. Great work.
    Hope to see it painted very soon. Must be a great challenge to paint it.

Marc
  13. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beer - Primoz & Marc

Many thanks

Cheers Ken

' What's another word for Thesaurus.'