1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed French Imperial Guard Marine Fanion Bearer 1/6th

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    The new Stormtroopers French Imperial guard 1/6 bust is superbly sculpted by Carl Reid but me being me I just had to add to it...

So!..I mentioned my idea of adding the left arm and scratch building a musket to suit via email to our very own Kev Peart (Nap), whereupon he came up with the idea of why not make him a petty Officer carrying the purple Fanion with anchor and imperial bees, he sold me the idea and after much backward and forwarding of emails where Kev helped me out with the details and info I needed to make a start on this ( although going by my other posts here on PF I'm supposed to be painting and not sculpting at the moment:facepalm:)......

Anyway blame Kev it was his idea(y)

As you can see it's at very early stages at the moment, the hands as before in my 1st Texas Confederate post came from a pack I purchased on flebay..so cheated a bit there but never mind eh.

The fanion was quite small in size, less than 2 ft sq and near to 1 ft square, after much deliberation with Kev regarding the eagle on top of the fanion as in the image below, we both agreed that this was probably not the case as he showed me several from other French regiments of the time where the Fanion poles all had a small spear-like finial, so this what I have gone with, leaving the eagle being down to possible artistic licence...
    I may be wrong and I would be happy to hear from anyone who can correct me on this

Anyway early days yet and a ways to go with this, I will post up further progress as and when for those interested.

Many thanks to you yet once again Kev for your patience in sending me the info on this one

Cheers
    Jim

image.jpeg
    image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    unnamed (8).jpg
    MattMcK., KenBoyle, Chrisr and 7 others like this.
  2. misfit151 A Fixture

Blimey Jim...great idea again.....looking forward to more posts.....(y). Mike
    khollar and Jimbo like this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo

That's right ...go on blame poor innocent me ......all I said was ..." I had an idea " ....famous last words ...lol

Looking good mate ...can't wait till you've splodged some paint on him ...after the Texan of course !!!!

Look forward to more ...but till then thought I would share the pics " El Vest " sent me of the many stages

....not for the faint hearted as there's some strange bloke "photo bombing " one of them Pic # 15....

Click on images for a larger view

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Good to see the stages and patience of a sculptor

Nap
    KenBoyle, Chrisr, Tonton and 4 others like this.
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A full figure would be impressive.

Mike
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Over to you Mike I reckon Jimbo has enough putty work to do !

It will look even better once it's starting to fill out more

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  6. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks mate much appreciated(y)
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Mike...don't think I've enough milliput in the pot for legs on a 1/6 though (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cheers Kev..Thanks again(y)
    Jim
  9. malc PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Indeed it would.
    Jimbo likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo

Hey ...got a idea ......do a eagle as well ....looking at my references there was a anchor on the oblong plinth rather than a Regt number .........

You could have a choice by fitting tiny magnets

...just a thought

Nap

PS ...you putting cords on as well ?
    Jimbo likes this.
  11. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You could always use an Action Man or similar as a mannequin!

Mike
    Jimbo likes this.
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Going to stick with the spear point Kev, I'm really not sure about adding an eagle, I thought the eagle was only part of the regimental flag?
    Yes will be adding cords and the frill around the fanion
    Cheers
    Jim
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Only joking mate ...not like you need the practice ..unlike me ...lol

Look forward to the cords and the fringes

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  14. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Wow Jim, I thought you might do something like this but I thought you might have waited a while.
    Nice start mate and looking good.
    Jimbo likes this.
  15. nig-g Active Member

Jim, this is fabulous work and you shouldnt feel guilty about using ready made hands (we all know how difficult they are to sculpt in any scale!).
    I scratch sculpt bust in 1/6th scale (amongst other things!) and regularly make use of heads, hands, weapons and accessories designed for Action Man style action figures (which my wife disparaging calls “daddy’s dollies”!). I
    can recommend the work of the talented Tony Barton if anyone is thinking of having a go at working in this scale. Have a look at antheads.co.uk
    Following this with real interest.
    Jimbo likes this.
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Bob...Yeah looks like it's becoming bit of an addiction....I was going to wait but the urge got the better of me!
    Cheers
    Jim
    Nap likes this.
  17. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Nig-g glad you like him, I'll check out the antheads .co.uk...thanks for the heads up(y)
  18. nig-g Active Member

Mike...all joking apart ....I do use old Action Man (men?) I pick up from charity shops to form the basis of 1/6th scale sculpts.

Having typed that it sounds well dodgy!
    Jimbo likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England

It certainly does Nigel ...lol

Nap
    Jimbo and MCPWilk like this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Bit of an update as I've been away from the workbench for a few weeks, arms now sculpted waiting to be cleaned up before adding cuff detail, chief petty officer cheverons and long service cheverons
    Cheers
    Jim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Tonton, Nap and Old Pete like this.