1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Fusilier Marins 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Feb 19, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This will be a two figure vignette of Fusilier Marins in a trench in 1915, requested by Marc Megroot. Hopefully by the time I finish it, Marc will have recovered from his injury and be able to paint it.

It is based on this often-published wartime photo of two Poilus.

I thought it would be fun to vary this interesting photo a little by changing the figures to Fusilier Marins. So - here are some work-in-progress photos of the two figures. The scale is 120mm. So far I'm using resin boots and putties from D. J. Parkins and heads from the Lost Battalion. I think the chubby matelot looks a bit like Hemingway with the beard I added. Yes/no?
    I will be using some field equipment and rifles from Model Cellar. I've made a trench periscope and the firestep part of the trench, plus some duckboard planks for the trench bottom. Next I'll probably add the double-breasted M1898 dark blue coat with big brass buttons. The coat is large enough and covers so much there should be no need to sculpt the service coat or shirt, etc. I'm going to follow (somewhat) the G. Ripart illustration.

As always, constructive criticism is welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    Looks promising, Dan
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Vergilius! There's a long way to go on this vignette - just starting. I'm correcting a number of errors on both figures. Anders Heintz helped with a great critique on Timelines, so I'm working out the bugs before I go further.

All the best,
    Dan
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

It is gonna be Oke at this time. I was able to paint yesterday, not easy but it goes.
    So looking forward to the finish.

Marc
  5. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Looking good, Dan ;) !!! I always love a little variation on a theme and you're becoming quite an expert on it. Cheers, my friend !
    Kenneth :).
  6. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi Dan
    Coming on great, can't wait to see it finished.
    Pete
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks fellas!!

Pete, Kenneth and Marc - Many thanks! I'm working on some corrections this week and weekend, but should be ready to add coats to the figures soon - that's the next step.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Dan,

I am glad that you are taking a step back and correcting the anatomy. Its the most important aspect of a figure.

You have some great ideas that are worthy of equally great sculpts.
  9. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks good so far Dan!
    keep us posted
    christos
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders and Christos - Many thanks!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Francis Gekiere Active Member

Belgium