1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique French Cyclist In Deserted Village

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Dan Morton, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Just starting out on my next project which will be another sculpt based on a well-published wartime photo. The photo is of a French infantryman cyclist sitting at the base of a street lamp eating lunch in a deserted village.

Not much to show you except reference materials. This will be in 1/16th scale.

I have a Verlinden gas street lamp from about the right period that I will convert to look Belgian or French. There is a feature on the column [see photo] that I'd like to make once and then have cast three times. I'm lousy with casting, so will be looking for some help on it later.

I've already made the street of paver stones from putty. I'll add some grass and dirt between the stones later.

The head of the Poilu cyclist is from Reedee's Miniatures, boots from a kit. The Berthier carbine from another kit.

The bicycle is a Del Prado with fenders cut from lead strip but not mounted. I'll need to add a rear basket.

On the bike will go a folded and tied down bread bag and a rolled-up tent half. The tent half is my best guess about the rolled thingie in the photo.

The ammo containers will be from a kit, but I'll add a belt, buckle and various odds and ends. All the other bits lying near the figure in the photo will be scratch built.

I'm wondering about the size of the shop buildings and trying to work out scale sizes and proportions. Lots of construction materials on order. The store fronts will be built like old Hollywood sets essentially. I'll start with the deepest layer of planks of wood that have been nailed to secure the entrances and windows, a layer of putty to bring everything up to that depth, intact and broken window glass made from thin clear acrylic plastic, door and window frames from model railroad supply firms cut to fit, then another layer of putty to form the bricks and mortar and concrete block exterior construction.

All the best,
    Dan View attachment 114855 lay out.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Second posting required because I've reached the 25 image limit.

Dan

Attached Files:

Dave - LastCav, gforceman and yeo_64 like this.
  3. Helm A Fixture

England
    Interesting project Dan (y) You have a knack for finding them, re the lampost maybe some dolls house architrave mouldings might do ?

Steve
  4. Romque Member

really nice project and with the fully documents you have you will not have historical problems great

Romque
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That's indeed a famous picture. Didn't Markus Eckmann sculpted this along time ago in 54 mm???
    Looking forward to your next pictures Dan.

marc
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan!

Well done recherches and very nice project - I will follow with great interest...!

Cheers
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Dan,
    What a great project you have set your self, a typical French setting at lunch time. If I have noticed anything in my time here in France it's that everything stops for lunch, no matter where they are.
    Your research is very thorough and interesting to me as I have never really looked into 20th Century French history.
    Well done to get this far and I will follow your progress with interest my friend.
    Best wishes,
    Keith
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Should be good Dan.
    Carl.(y)
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks all! Should be fun and keep me out of the saloons. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Dan ,

As always a very interesting subject and with great references as well ......keep us all posted on this project .

Nap
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cheers Nap,

I shall do that very thing. ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  12. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice start Dan and as usual very well researched, looking forward to following.(y)

Cheers Ken
    Karlosfandango likes this.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Ken!! I'm working on the bicycle today. I've made fenders from lead foil and wire and the rolled tent half and the bread bag from MS. I need to add straps and buckles for the bread bag and buckles for the straps on the tent half and it will be done. Possibly today. If I get done in time, I'll post a photo.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    The bicycle is just about finished.

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

15. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Bice work Dan, and I love the reference pic ;)
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks so much Pokrad!

All the best,
    Dan
  17. pokrad A Fixture

Croatia
    Hehehe, sorry, NICE is what i wanted to write, but missed the key :)
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Coming along nicely.
    Cheers
    John
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I kinda knew you meant Nice, Pokrad. No prob.

Cheers John! Glad you like it.

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Dan. Good to see that. I think you will have it finished before I have done my project

@ Marc: Yes, but it was 75 mm and there exist only one copy of the figure because the master was destroyed during casting. And the copy is laying in my grey army