1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

French Carabinier at Borodino 1812

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Sven, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Sven A Fixture

Dear Planeteers,
    here is my most recent paint job:

PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-13.jpg PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-13 (1).jpg PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-14.jpg PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-15 (1).jpg PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-15.jpg PHOTO-2022-12-04-10-31-16.jpg

This fantastic bust by CGS Military Figures is based on a painting by Eduard Detaille. It shows a French Carabinier with a captured Russian flag - probably the flag of the 'Libava' Inf. Rgt.
    135p7jmw.jpg

I did not like the colors of the flag at all. I just thought it would not go well with the figur. So I went with another flag of the period:
    odessa.jpg
    I had a nice mental discussion with myself, whether I should stay historical correct or better follow my artistic gut feeling. Let me know, what you think.
    Greetings from Berlin.
    Sven
  2. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    "Historically correct" or not, this is tremendous and the way you have handled the 'yellow' on the flag looks superb.
    Great bust Sven.
    Gary
    MCPWilk and Sven like this.
  3. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent painting Sven.
    I totally agree with Gary. That yellow flag looks superb.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Sven likes this.
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
    Sven likes this.
  5. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Yes Sven the yellow flag does it for me and you have ended up with a beautiful colourful piece.
    TERRY
    Sven likes this.
  6. Ben-nl A Fixture

Netherlands
    very well paintingwork.
    Sven likes this.
  7. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    The colors you've got going on here really make the figure pop! Love it!
    Sven likes this.
  8. Sven A Fixture

Gary, Andrew, Terry, Ben, Mobo, and Steve,
    thank you so much. Much appreciated!
    Sven
  9. misfit151 A Fixture

Fabulous painting on a fabulous figure.... lovely clean painting...(y) Mike
  10. Sven A Fixture

Thank you, Mike. Glad you like it.
  11. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic piece of paintwork.........Highlighted and shaded just right for my taste.....Not overdone.....Keep up the good work.

Wayne
    Sven and sd0324 like this.
  12. sd0324 PlanetFigure Supporter

Well that is just beautiful. Nice work!

Steve
    Sven likes this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Absolutely agree there , the work on the belts and the whites on both the uniform and flag really works well

Be interesting to hear how you did the yellow and white

IF YOU HAVEN'T ALREADY WHY NOT ENTER a piece into the class of your choice in FOTM here: :)(y)

Standard

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...rd-class-comp-ends-midnight-bst-31-12.511935/

Intermediate

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...te-class-comp-ends-midnight-bst-31-12.511936/

Advanced

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ed-class-comp-ends-midnight-bst-31-12.511937/

In the forum you can also VOTE in previous comp so please take the time to do so

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Sven likes this.
  14. Cannonball A Fixture

Lovely painting Sven. The yellow flag contrasts really nicely against the rest of the figure.

Neal
    Sven likes this.
  15. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Beautifully painted.

Mike
    Sven likes this.
  16. Sven A Fixture

Thank you so much, Wayne, Steve, Neal, Mike and Nap. Happy painting!
  17. Sven A Fixture

The yellow base color is #3 from the Andrea yellow paint set. For the shadows a added # 1, 5, and even 6. I also added a tiny amount of German grey in some places.

The whites are done with Mojane white (Scale 75) and # 3, again from the Andrea white paint solor set. I used highly dilluted brown grey as a filter and some washes (grey, green, blue).

Sven
    Nap likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England

Appreciate the info Sven

Happy benchtime

Nap
  19. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Lovely work Sven, and the contrast of blue and yellow is always striking. Who is to say a French Carabinier never captured a Russian Flag like this one......it's just that Detaille wasn't there to see it, in fact he never saw any of it......LOL
    Nap likes this.
  20. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    (quote) "Who is to say a French Cuirassier never captured a Russian Flag like this one"............or a French Carabineer even..!