1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP French 4th Hussars

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Cannonball, Dec 6, 2021.

1. Cannonball A Fixture

Recently started this 1/9th scale bust from Gordon depicting an eagle bearer of the French 4th Hussars. It’s a hefty chunk of resin with some great bits of detail. The troopers face is a great piece of sculpting/rendering and a real joy to paint. There is some great raised detailing on the motifs and lettering on the standard as well. There is a choice of heads for the trooper, either shako or colpack, and I’ve opted for the latter (having done the shako on the Colonel Burthe version). Still some way to go yet but really enjoyable figure to get stuck into.

Neal 690FB777-7346-4A70-A02A-9FBACF57EFA6.jpeg 11DA3728-0C38-4D79-8B92-425EACD517C4.jpeg 55A6447B-DDEB-4B41-A423-B5B062568577.jpeg D3503122-2AE8-451E-B4E6-6C10467DBA86.jpeg 8D6D6B78-AE16-4B0E-BCD4-49856843B709.jpeg 6DD7B46D-15F3-46B4-90A5-EC39E20DB3E0.jpeg 07E49C80-2B08-4706-A1D4-B0854822A606.jpeg
  2. misfit151 A Fixture

Hi Neal and what a great start on this ..... fabulous.....looking forward to more....(y). Mike
    Cannonball likes this.
  3. taliesin2013 Active Member

Hi,
    Very nice work.
    Can you tell anything about the colors used (any mixes) and what brand.
    Many thanks
    Sabrina
    Cannonball likes this.
  4. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have this piece and that's a great start. I shall follow this one with interest.
    Gary
    Cannonball likes this.
  5. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Mike. Needed to come away from the fleur de lys on the Grenadier drummer so changed tack with this for a bit of light relief!

Neal
  6. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Sabrina. I paint in oils over acrylics so don’t know if the colours will be of help to you but the oils are Winsor & Newton Artists oil. For the red I’ve used straight Cadmium Red shaded with the addition of Prussian Green and highlights are the addition of Cadmium Yellow and some Naples Yellow. The fur Colpack is Ivory Black mixed with a khaki which I make up from Yellow Ochre and Ivory Black mix. The shading is put Ivory Black and the highlights are a flesh made up from a mix of the above red and yellow and Titanium White.
    The horse is a mix of Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre shaded with Ivory Black and highlights with Naples Yellow or You can use Titanium White. I use an old bushy headed brush and dab/stipple the colours to blend on the horse.
    Hope this is of some help to you.

Neal
    Paul Kernan, Nap and Viking Bob like this.
  7. Cannonball A Fixture

Many thanks Gary.

Neal
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking very good so far.

Mike
    Cannonball likes this.
  9. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Mike.

Neal
  10. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Neal,
    Excellent start, beautiful painting and following too.
    Cannonball likes this.
  11. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Bob, really appreciated.

Neal
    Viking Bob likes this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Neal

Catching up with things and glad to be seeing you with this , great reds and the horse is how I want mine to look ....possibly a revisit !!

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Cannonball likes this.
  13. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    He is looking great, nice colour choice on the horse, when i eventually get one, i was going for a brown horse, already have a white and grey dapple. lol
    Cannonball likes this.
  14. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Neal! Defintely going to be an impressive figure. Great work so far. :)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Cannonball and Viking Bob like this.
  15. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Nap. Still a bit more to do on the horse but it’s getting there.

Neal
    Nap likes this.
  16. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Steve. Saw some quick snaps from Telford on the Mitches Facebook site and there was a full figure version on a white horse which looked really good. Was tempted to go down that colour route but played it safe with the chestnut.

Neal
  17. Cannonball A Fixture

Hi Ken, really appreciate the comments and hope you are well.

Neal
    KenBoyle likes this.
  18. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Really like the horse colour Neal. Something I could never master.
    Gordon
    Cannonball and Nap like this.
  19. Cannonball A Fixture

Thanks Gordon. Using some colour mixes from an old Military Modelling article and they seem to be turning out pretty well fingers crossed. Hopefully see you on Saturday for a catch up.

Neal
    Grod likes this.
  20. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great looking paint work so far! This is going to be very impressive looking when completed
    Cannonball likes this.