1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Free 3D scanning software

Discussion in 'Digis - Digital Miniatures 3D Modeling' started by RKapuaala, Mar 12, 2012.

1. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    http://www.david-laserscanner.com/?section=Downloads
    This is software for scanning real objects and converting them into 3D point clouds. I tried it out and it is pretty amazing considering I just used a construction level and scanned by hand. They offer a better lazers on their site and if you are handy it wouldn't be too hard to convert a camera tripod into a reasonable lazer stand.
    I may break down and buy one of their full kits one day since I have a lot of sculpts in clay that I might want to digitze eventually.
    The nice thing about this product is that you can own your own 3D scanner without having to sell an organ or take out a mortgage on your home,,, in fact with a little ingenuity you can have it for free since they give you the software.
    Jamie Stokes and gordy like this.
  2. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    That's incredible, do you have a sample image of a scan ?
  3. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    399 Euros for a full setup! Wow, this stuff has come down in price!
  4. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Gordy, mine came out pretty horrible compared to theirs because I was using the wrong lazer and I was holding it in my hand. But this is a 5.25" figure I scanned.
    einsteinbummerScan.jpg
    Considering that the beam was too wide and the wrong frequency and I was holding it, not a bad scan. But check out their site, they have some much cooler results using the right equipment.
  5. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    We've got one of these and have been having a bit of play with it. The ambient light can make quite a difference to how the scans come out too so it may be worth experimenting with. We bought ours as part of a package with a 3D printer from A1 Technologies whose site is worth a look at;

http://www.a1-tech.co.uk/
  6. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the link Jon. Yep, ambient light does play a role, but keep in mind the specs on your lazer are a lot different than a cheapy construction lazer level and that makes a greater difference especially when held by hand. What are you using the 3Dprinter for???
  7. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I run a design engineering consultancy and we use the 3D printer for making prototype parts for our clients; normally for plastic components so they can get a feel for the item before comiting to tooling. Even though we can create csome great CAD images you can't beat seeing an item in the flesh so to speak. I have had a bit of a play with it knocking up some archetectural pieces as well.
    Jamie Stokes likes this.
  8. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    You have one cool job Jon,,, I'm envious ;)
  9. JonP PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Cheers Richard,

started the business a couple of years ago with a guy I used to work for and I love it. I don't think I could go back to working for someone else now :)
  10. bigtodd PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Richard,

I work for a 3d scanning software company. I would love to see the raw point files. Also if you need any help cleaning up a file let me know off line.

Thanks
    Todd
    (bigtodd@carolina.rr.com)
  11. RKapuaala Active Member

United-States
    Todd, I'm always interested in better prices and materials. So far the files are very clean sculptris doesn't make a huge mess of things,,, so far. Go to my site and checkout some of my 3D figures already released http://scalehumans.com/ultimate .