1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Fredricksburg vignette

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jason W., Dec 26, 2005.

1. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Hi All! Happy Holidays!

The figures for this vignette were built by our own Gary Dombrowski a few years ago. I remember seeing these being built over on TnT and wishing I could paint them. Well, I finally got my wish and I'm, slowly but surely, starting work.

These figures are wonderfully animated. And Gary's sculpting are....well, first rate!
    Gary's sculpting of these originals are what you'd expect for something being built for production. Not a flaw could be found. Even the underside of the great coat skirts are smooth. Not a gap could be found.

The heads, muskets, canteens and cups, are from the Shenendoah line. The hat on the ground and shutter were built by Gary. In my opinion Gary goes above and beyond when sculpting little details. The buckles and straps for the knapsacks in particular are very nice. I could learn something by those examples. ;)

The Union soldiers being depicted are from the 20th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment as they would have appeared on December 11, 1862. The Regiment was one of the first to cross the Rappahannock River to get a foot-hold on the town of Fredricksburg. They wear their state-issued gray overcoats and red blankets.

Painting the flag was quite a challenge. Gary did ALOT of research in obtaining information on the flag. Providing me with pictures of an actual flag and more info on the units service in that Battle. And it was kinda fun painting a flag that had two different colored sides!

Thanks for looking!

Jason

Attached Files:

2. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    more pics~

Attached Files:

3. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    more pics~

Attached Files:

4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    pics~

Attached Files:

5. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    The flags were all painted free-hand.

Attached Files:

6. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Great work so far Jason.Pls show us more.

Stephen Mallia
  7. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Fantastic to see the talents of both Gary & Jason come together in one scene. Look forward to the next step Jason. Beautiful painting Jason.
  8. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    That looks pretty good for me !!! Great Stuf !!!

(y) (y) (y)

The best wishes,
    Markus
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    jason,

This is in one word FANTASTIC.
    Gary did a great job on the sculpting and your painting is fabulous.
    I'll hope to see more very soon.

Marc.
  10. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Excellent painting there, Jason. The flags look particularly good!
  11. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Jason, very nice, keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  12. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Wooooooow :eek: I don't know what can I say... Jason, this scene is fantastic! Dynamic poses, character faces and... BEAUTIFUL FLAG! Great sculpt & paint job.
    Congratulations for you and Gary!

Best regards
    Artur
  13. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I too remember when Gary first started this sculpt. You're a lucky (and talented) man to be able to paint one of Gary's sculpts. Interesting flag. I wish someone would do this scene commercially. BTW great job.
  14. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mate, the flag is excellent!
    Figures aren't bad either!
    Thanks for posting this one, look forward to seeing more ;)
  15. mertenspeter Member

Belgium
    This is a pretty good paintjob, not to mension the sculpting :)
    Outstanding work from the both of you.

(y) Peter
  16. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Thanks guy's! Appreciate the kind words.

I hope to have it finished by MFCA. There's a couple projects that I'm eager to start work on now so this will sit on the back burner for a time.

Thanks again.

Jason
  17. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    The individual pics of the figures and flags look great. Can't wait to see them all together.

Keith
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jason, As always nice work. It will be nice to finally see all the figures painted once you finish your other projects. As for the flag, it looks great. I think some people are a bit confused thinking you have painted two separate flags. The flag of the 20th Massachusetts was a very interesting flag. While most flags have a field of one color the 20th's had two. The field of the flag was red on one side and white on the other, which makes for one interesting flag. When doing research for the project I was fortunate enough to be able to call on the expertise of Civil War flag historian Steven Hill. Mr. Hill provided me with color copies of the original flag, along with a color photograph of a reproduction based on the original. Another interesting feature of the flag is the finial at the top of the flagpole which features an eagle pearched on top of a half globe.~Gary
  19. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Two sided flags were not uncommon, but by no mines the norm.
  20. robbyk9 Active Member

Hai

In one word its going to be FANTASTIC. I already like it alot. I am
    very curious to see it finished.
    See you later

Dick Evegaars ;)