1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Frank-Miniatures 1/10 German soldier in WW1

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by J:J, Feb 10, 2021.

1. J:J Member

Denmark
    I've just completed this piece from Frank-Miniatures (sculpted by Carl Reid), painted in acrylics.

I changed the cast number 13 on the helmet cover to "R86" to let the figure represent a Dane in (involuntary) German service during WW1. Being Danish myself, I'm quite interested in the period from 1864 to 1920, where modern time Southern Denmark belonged to Germany; Denmark had lost it at a war in 1864. Because, as a matter of fact, a lot of people in the region remained Danish by heart during the entire period and kept fighting - politically - for their right to become Danish again. At the merge og WW1, this applied to a lot of draftees to the German Army too. They considered themselves Danish, but went abroad to fight for Germany, many of them at the Western Front. In "R86", which refers to Füsilier-Regiment nr. 86, 575 Southern Danes were killed in action.

Disclaimer: This is not a political post, but only intended as a historical information about my motivation to paint the figure this way.

Cheers! J:J

IMG_5958.jpg

IMG_5959.jpg

IMG_5960.jpg

IMG_5961.jpg

IMG_5962.jpg

What do you want to do ?
    New mailCopy
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi JJ

Great to see you posting and on a really nice bust , do like the reason behind painting it

Like the uniform colour ...what mix did you use ?

The lettering on the helmet is really well done and I like the weathering as well as the leatherwork

Thanks for sharing

Why not also enter a piece into the new FOTM comp , choose the class of your choice

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    captnenglish likes this.
  3. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi J;J great work and I enjoyed the wee history lesson, I didn't know about the Danish draftees.
    TERRY
    Nap likes this.
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Beautiful paintwork

Mobo
  5. DioramaArt A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely work and great bit of historical context.
    Andrew Belsey likes this.
  6. J:J Member

Denmark
    Thanks for the nice comments, I really appreciate that.

@Nap: For the uniform I used Vallejo's "German Field Grey"-set (ref. 70.181), mixing within the provided color range. The set also provided the blueish grey base for the blanket on the backpack. Otherwise I used various colors from Vallejo, Ammo by MIG (for the leather work), AK Interactive (for metal bits), and Scale 75 (for the face).

All the best.

/ J:J
    Nap likes this.
  7. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Beautiful piece, JJ. You've certainly done Carl Reid's sculpt justice.
  8. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Amazing brush work..and very interesting history behind the build... Ive learnt something.. Thanks for sharing..
  9. J:J Member

Denmark
    @ Chris & Warren: Thanks guys. I really appreciate that.

/ J:J
  10. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    I recently purchased this bust, so I look at every painted version with interest. I too plan to change the regimental number on the helmet cover for personal reasons.
  11. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wow outstanding paint job. Also very nice History lesson. Regards, Brock
  12. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nicely done! (y)

Cheers,
    Ken
  13. Soldaten6 Member

United-States
    Beautiful painting of a great sculpt. You have captured the worn look without over doing anything at all. I appreciate the background info as well. It was another unknown aspect of the Great War for me too!

R/

Bob
  14. Scott Sheltz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding paint work!