1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Franco-Prussian War 1870/71. Uniforms and Equipment of the German and French Armies

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Dr Bison, Jul 9, 2020.

1. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    5_10079.jpg
    This two-volume book from the Verlag Militaria, based in Vienna, is an absolute must-have for anyone even mildly interested in this conflict!

First of all, some facts:
    The two volumes - vol 1 on the German armies, vol 2 on the French ones - come in a sturdy slipcase.
    They are available in English (ISBN 978-3-903341-04-3), French (978-3-903341-05-0) and German (978-3-903341-03-6).
    On altogether 800 pages you'll find more than 2,500 colour and black-and-white photographs.
    The price is quite heavy at € 129.90, but so are the books, weighing 5 kgs...

Volume 1 was authored by Markus Stein & Gerhard Bauer, volume 2 by Louis Delpérier, Laurent Mirouze & Christophe Pommier.

Here, some official sample pages:
    5_10079!02.jpg 5_10079!04.jpg
    5_10079!08.jpg 5_10079!10.jpg

I found the German side to be covered in a somewhat more methodical way than the French one, but the photos easily make up for that. You'll find original uniform items of nearly all the French troops, including some rare original pieces of equipment. For the German side, there are some minor gaps in the coverage, as far as tunics are concerned, e.g. no Saxon, Hesse and Baden ones. You will find some Brunswick Polröcke, though! But this is more than made up by the wealth of absolutely fantastic period photos, such as these, showing what German troops really looked like in the field:
    IMG_5936.jpg IMG_5938.jpg IMG_5941.jpg
    IMG_5942.jpg IMG_5944.jpg

And this one's my favourite, a Prussian hussar. Talking of high heels...
    IMG_5939.jpg IMG_5940.jpg

The French volume not only shows the flashy units - guards, zouaves, chasseurs d'Afrique -,
    IMG_5953.jpg IMG_5960.jpg

but also mobile and national guards
    IMG_5963.jpg IMG_5966.jpg IMG_5967.jpg

and even one of the few items that can be attributed to the fighters of the Parisian commune, i.e. this kepi:
    IMG_5969.jpg

IMG_5958.jpg IMG_5955.jpg IMG_5962.jpg

Like I said: More than just highly recommended.

Karl
    Manfred, Martin64, Nap and 3 others like this.
  2. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I have a birthday coming up next month, so I will be dropping heavy hints to 'She who must be obeyed'. Mind you, the cost goes up a fair bit with postage to 150 + Euros,
    but it is heavy at 5 kilos.
    It does look beautifully researched and printed, though......;):happy:

Alan
    Nap likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Might be bringing my birthday forward by several months ....

I have the others from this publisher ...like this they are fantastic , excellent quality text and pictures

Thanks for the review

Making a space on my shelves .....

Nap
  4. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    :LOL:(y) All clear from the Memsahib, so birthday present sorted....Eee, but I'm a lucky old fart !

Alan
    Chrisr and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England

Hope you've got a strong postman ....did you order from Vienna direct ?

Nap
  6. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    Nap likes this.
  7. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Yup, ..their website is very easy to navigate, with English translation as an option(y)

Alan
    Nap likes this.
  8. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Lucky you indeed!!
    Nap likes this.