1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Four Tommies and the Agony of the Somme

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Roger, my friend, the "shoveller" is yours! How about finding me some regimental and other insignia for all these fellas? Lots of units fought on the Somme. Marty hasn't expressed a preference, so...your choice.

All the best,
    Dan
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the "shoveller". It reminds me of when I asked an ex soldier what regiment he had been in, he said they were known as the "coal house Fusiliers" because all they did was shovel coal all day. I never did find out what regiment it was.
    I will email you with my choice of insignia. Don't worry it won't be too complicated I have to paint it.:p

Roger
  3. periklis_sale Member

Greece
    Daniel my friend thats a fantastic start, keep us posted!!!!!
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Periklis - Many thanks for your encouragement.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good start my friend!
    best regards
    christos
  6. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    a big projects. Enjoy te proces
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Chris and Vergilius - Many thanks for your encouragement!

All the best,
    Dan
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Rifle Straps

Hey Dan :) !
    Is Pro-Create similar in properties to Duro ? If so, then you're on the right track by mixing the 2 ( Pro-Create and MS ) as the mixture will give the straps flexibility as well as strength. How about using lead/tin strips for the rifle straps ? Being metal, you could tension them to get the effect that you want. That's want I'd do if I were to recreate the scene myself. Just my 2 cents worth ;). Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Kenneth - Pro-create is just as flexible as Duro, maybe more so. I don't like it by itself but when mixed about 40% PC to 60% MS, the mix is very flexible, but sturdy and sticky like MS - the best of both worlds. I like using this mix much more than the Duro/MS mix. I tried that and thought it was much too sticky. I tried various mix proportions but could never get the bubble gum stickiness under control.

Good suggestion about the lead foil. I think I'll try both the mix of putties and the lead foil and see which one gives the best effect. I think I'll use just the putty on the figures themselves because I can make that look so much more like Pattern 1914 leather equipment.

I think one of the things I'm going to have to be very careful of is all the drapery and folds on the clothing. The folds must show the lifting and pulling tension. To complicate matters, they're all three wearing sheepskin or goatskin jerkins that won't show folds much. I'm working on just one of the figures now and I've made rather deep cuts into the jerkin where the leather harness and belt is being worn. Any other thoughts or tips?

All the best,
    Dan
  10. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Fur

Hi Dan :) !
    Thanks for the reply to my suggestion. For myself, I actually lubricate with a little bit of talcum powder on my finger tips to combat the stickiness of the MS/Duro mix. As for the fur effects, Mike Blank's book on how he sculpts figures has a few nice photos of re-enactors in fur that might give you some idea of how these items of clothing behaved when being worn. Alternatively, Google the fur images required for more ideas. HTH. Cheers !
    Kenneth ;) .
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth!

I have several photos like this one showing the jerkins. Some long-sleeved, some short-sleeved, some no sleeves. The guys in the illustration appear to be wearing short-sleeved ones. I think by working with the fur, the indentations, etc., etc. it should be possible to show some stress lines and folds in the jerkins. We'll see.

Try the PC sometime. I think you'll like it.

If you have any other ideas, please don't keep 'em to yourself!! I need all the help I can get!!

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Robert Dominick Member

United-States
    Great idea for a vignette! This should look fantastic when finished!
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Robert! I very much appreciate your encouragement. I'm just making a bit of progress on the first figure - the wounded man. I think Roger and I have just about concluded that the figures should not have any regiment / division markings on their uniforms. The British army started introducing such markings in 1916 but it really wasn't widespread until 1917. So one have two stripes on his sleeves and another will have the bomber insignia on his sleeves. The goatskin or sheepskin jerkins they are all wearing with fur out would have covered division markings on the upper sleeve anyway.

All the best,
    Dan
  14. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi Dan
    What do you do ?
    You work so slow ;)
    hé hé it's a joke ...
    I am in a hurry to see the continuation
  15. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    :0 All things in their time, Esteban. Thanks for your encouragement. I'll try to post some progress photos this weekend. I had no idea this idea for a vignette would be so popular.

All the best,
    Dan
  16. fbackaert Member

Belgium
    Hello Dan,
    Not a heasy choise, But keep on I think it will be a good one.
    Fernand
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Fernand! I appreciate your encouragement!

All the best,
    Dan
  18. amcairns A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Looks good Dan

Gee Dan ,
    You come up with some good ideas.Look forward to more progress.
    Andy
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Andy - Many thanks! A lot of my "ideas" are just adapting the classic illustrations and photos of the Great War. There are so many it is a practically inexhaustible supply. Unfortunately I can't credit this illustrator because I can't find out his name! There's a reason why these illustrations and photos get published a lot - they grab people's eyes, tug at their hearts, make them wonder, make them think. And sometimes they seem to do the same things as figures. And that's what it's all about. :)

All the best,
    Dan